UPDATED: Home damaged by fire in Corinth, two suffer smoke inhalation

UPDATED: Home damaged by fire in Corinth, two suffer smoke inhalation

  • 0

CORINTH — Two people suffered smoke inhalation and a family of five was left homeless early Wednesday when fire heavily damaged a home on Walsh Road, officials said.

The fire was reported at 3:37 a.m. The fire had been knocked down within an hour. Two residents were taken to Saratoga Hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation.

Corinth Fire Chief Andy Kelley said the second floor of the home suffered extensive fire damage from the blaze that began in the bedroom. He said it appeared a cigarette that was improperly disposed of caused the blaze.

A woman who was in the bedroom where the fire began reported that she had put a cigarette in an ashtray on a window sill and she awoke to smoke and flames in that area, Kelley said. All of the occupants were able to get out.

Kelley said there was one positive development after the fire.

A 15-year-old girl who lived in the home and has a perfect attendance record at Corinth High School was able to make it to school later Wednesday despite losing her clothes, as Corinth school officials were able to collect clothes for her to make it to class for the day, Kelley said.

After the Fire has put the family up in a hotel for a couple of days, and the Red Cross was assisting as well, the chief said.

Firefighters from Corinth, Luzerne-Hadley, Porter Corners and West Glens Falls were called out to respond.

Walsh Road is a dead-end off county Route 10.


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News