Subscribe for 33¢ / day

GLENS FALLS  The operations manager of Open Door soup kitchen saved the life of a patron who had apparently overdosed on heroin one day last week.

Charmaine Long used the prescription opioid antidote Narcan to aid a man who was unconscious in front of the Lawrence Street soup kitchen Tuesday afternoon.

Kim Cook, director of Open Door, said Long was working when her attention was called to a man who was unconscious in front of the building around lunch time. The man had been “in and out” of the Open Door building earlier in the day, but hadn’t taken a meal.

Long believed the man may have been unconscious because of drug use, and administered Narcan as trained.

“We know him and his situation and knew there was a pretty good chance that was his issue,” Cook said.

She said Open Door staff members received Narcan training through Catholic Charities last winter. Initially provided to law enforcement and emergency medical providers, the drug has been increasingly issued to others who have contact with at-risk people.

Long, who has a background in health care, “did a great job” in following her training, Cook said.

She said the man regained consciousness seconds after the nasal spray was administered.

“It’s pretty amazing to see when it (the drug) takes effect,” Cook said.

The man’s name was not released.

Glens Falls Fire Chief James Schrammel said firefighters, who operate the ambulance squad in Glens Falls, responded to a call at the soup kitchen for a man who was unconscious, and they arrived as the soup kitchen staff member was administering the drug.

Firefighters also carry Narcan, Schrammel said.

Don Lehman covers crime and Warren County government for The Post-Star. His work can be found on Twitter @PS_CrimeCourts and on poststar.com/app/blogs.

0
0
0
0
0

reporter

Don Lehman covers crime and Warren County government for The Post-Star. His work can be found on Twitter @PS_CrimeCourts and on poststar.com/app/blogs.

Load comments