Queensbury business owner charged in fraud case

Queensbury business owner charged in fraud case

  • 5

FORT EDWARD — The owner of a Queensbury business faces 13 felonies after the state Department of Motor Vehicles determined he was using false documentation to allow customers who bought all-terrain vehicles to illegally register them in New York, court records show.

Glenn B. Kelsey, who owns Sportline Power Products on Quaker Road, was arrested Thursday after an investigation by the state Department of Motor Vehicles and Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

Kelsey, 66, of Greenfield, was charged with one count of scheme to defraud and 12 counts of offering a false instrument for filing after DMV officials determined his business provided falsified documents to customers who bought two four-wheeler models so that it appeared they weighed less than 1,000 pounds and could be registered in New York.

State law allows ATVs to be registered in New York only if they weigh less than 1,000 pounds, to limit the damage the machines can do.

In a written statement to a DMV investigator that is filed in Fort Edward Town Court, Kelsey is quoted as saying that he had a CF Moto and Kawasaki Mule weighed on a certified scale at a construction company in 2016, but had removed equipment from them so they weighed less than 1,000 pounds.

Copies of those falsified forms were submitted to DMV to register 12 of those vehicles that Sportline sold in the two-plus years since, Kelsey acknowledged in the statement.

“I knew this practice was occurring in my dealership and I approved of this process,” Kelsey’s statement reads.

Washington County District Attorney Tony Jordan said it appeared the alleged fraud was done to make more vehicles legal for use in New York.

It was unclear how DMV learned of the alleged fraud, or whether the ATVs that were illegally registered had to be taken off the road. A spokeswoman for DMV said the agency would not comment on the investigation because it was ongoing.

Sheriff’s Capt. Tony LeClaire referred comment to DMV officials.

Phone messages left for Kelsey at his home and business were not returned Monday. He is free on his own recognizance and is due back in Fort Edward Town Court on Tuesday, Oct. 16.


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News