Gore Mountain

A view from near the top of Gore Mountain on a sun-drenched afternoon. A skier who said he was stuck on a lift overnight at the resort on the night of March 31-April 1 was convicted Friday of making a false statement.

JOHNSBURG — State Police are looking into a local skier’s claims that he spent a cold, snowy night stuck on a lift at Gore Mountain Ski Center over the weekend after the lift shut down for the day while he was headed up the mountain.

The skier, whose name wasn’t released, reported that he was on the North Quad late Saturday afternoon when it stopped as he headed up for one last trip down. He was not found until the lift was restarted at 8 a.m. Sunday, and he reported he was on the lift overnight as an inch or two of snow fell and temperatures dropped into the 20s.

He was unhurt and declined medical treatment. Gore Mountain staff contacted State Police though, and a trooper from the agency had interviewed the skier on two occasions this week.

The man reported he was stuck on a chair on the High Peaks lift and was suspended about 30 feet off the mountainside. It was unclear whether he had a cellphone, but cell service is spotty on lower portions of the mountain, depending on location.

A Gore Mountain official acknowledged the incident, but would not release details Friday.

Gore Mountain is run by the state Olympic Regional Development Authority, and ORDA spokesman Jon Lundin said the State Police were looking into the situation, but he declined to discuss it further.

“We are aware of the report and are seeking to confirm the facts,” he said.

It’s not unprecedented for skiers to get stuck on lifts overnight, locally and at ski areas around the world. A movie titled “Frozen” was made in 2010 about a particularly cold, grueling experience of skiers stranded for hours.

West Mountain Ski Center dealt with a highly publicized incident in February 1993, when two skiers spent 12 hours on a lift that was stopped as they were being taken up the mountain.

The men were found after a search that started when loved ones of the two men reported them missing when they did not come home from skiing. They were treated at Glens Falls Hospital for possible frostbite and hypothermia.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

reporter - crimes & courts, public safety and Warren County government

Don Lehman covers crime, Warren County government and the outdoors for The Post-Star. His work can be found on Twitter @PS_CrimeCourts and on poststar.com/app/blogs.

Load comments