Subscribe for 33¢ / day

QUEENSBURY — Warren County is seeking $14,000 in restitution from the man accused of sending bomb threats to the county and Queensbury school district last spring, arguing that he should compensate the county for lost work time for employees who were sent home early.

Darrell S. Royce, 46, of Queensbury, faces two felony counts of making a terroristic threat in connection with May 11 emails received by the county and school district that referenced a threat of an explosion. The emails were sent through the school’s and county’s websites.

Royce was in Warren County Court on Wednesday afternoon to discuss a proposed plea agreement that would result in his pleading guilty to a charge of making a terroristic threat and serving 6 months in Warren County Jail and 5 years on probation.

He turned down the offer, with his lawyer, Martin McGuinness, telling Judge John Hall he planned to ask for a conference with the court and Warren County District Attorney’s Office to see if there is “another disposition” that could be discussed.

Royce was charged after police traced to him the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device used to send the emails, according to the Warren County Sheriff’s Office.

Police said there was no evidence that Royce, who had been having unspecified contact with the county Department of Social Services before the emails, was plotting an attack of any sort. He had recently moved to Warren County from central Vermont.

He is accused of writing the phrase “tic toc” and referencing targeting children, but police said he would not speak with investigators so his motive was unclear.

County Treasurer Michael Swan said the $14,000 figure represented the amount paid to county employees who were sent home with pay when the building was evacuated. Acting County Administrator Kevin Geraghty said they were sent home because of a delay in the arrival of a team to check for explosives, which first went through the Queensbury school complex.

There was no indication the school district or state Office of Court Administration were seeking restitution for any lost work time for their employees.

McGuinness said it’s unclear whether the county can seek restitution.

Hall told him a restitution hearing could be held to determine whether the claim is legitimate.

“I don’t know if they can claim that,” he said.

Royce faces up to 4-2/3 to 14 years in state prison if convicted of both charges.

0
2
0
0
0

reporter

Don Lehman covers crime and Warren County government for The Post-Star. His work can be found on Twitter @PS_CrimeCourts and on poststar.com/app/blogs.

Load comments