You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
Man paroled for 1990 Glens Falls murder


The former Hudson Falls man who murdered a man who sexually propositioned him decades ago was paroled from prison in recent weeks and has resettled in Fulton County.

Nicholas C. Catalfamo II, 47, spent nearly 27 years in custody in connection with the Aug. 20, 1990 killing of 55-year-old G. Daniel Nichols in Nichols’ Glens Falls home. He beat Nichols to death with a piece of metal.

Catalfamo was sentenced to 16-years-to-life in state prison after his February 1992 guilty plea to second-degree murder and felony assault, and was paroled last month.

His felony assault conviction stemmed from a fight in Warren County Jail after his arrest for Nichols’ killing.

He had been denied parole on six occasions, until a hearing last November where it was granted, pending location of suitable housing, according to state corrections records. He had an extensive history of disciplinary problems during his early years in state prison, state records show.

The state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision would only identify his place of residence as Fulton County.

Glens Falls Police Detective Lt. Peter Casertino said his department was not notified of Catalfamo’s release, which would not be unusual if he was not going to be living in Glens Falls.

“If he isn’t coming back here, we wouldn’t be notified about it,” he said.

Catalfamo was 19 at the time of the homicide.

He and Nichols had met in a Glens Falls bar before the killing, going back to Nichols’ apartment on Ridge Street afterward. Catalfamo told police that Nichols made sexual advances toward him and he repeatedly bludgeoned Nichols with an 8-inch industrial bolt, leaving him in the apartment with serious head and neck injuries.

Catalfamo disposed of the weapon on the roof of an apartment building on Warren Street, where police later located him. He was arrested three days later, after he confessed to Glens Falls Police and State Police.

Police focused on him after he purportedly told a friend he had killed an “old guy.”

Catalfamo appealed his conviction in 1996, despite the fact he pleaded guilty, and the Appellate Division of state Supreme Court rejected that appeal.

Shooting victim, friend charged with Hebron hunter shooting

Two men, including a man who got part of his hand blown off by a round from a high-powered rifle, were arrested Tuesday in connection with last fall’s shooting during a deer hunting outing in Hebron.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation determined that Moreau resident Ken Fish Jr. was shot by a friend of his who apparently mistook him for a deer when hunting after sunset last Nov. 25, authorities said. Fish, 43, and the man who allegedly shot him, Shane Jarvis, 39, of Argyle, were both charged after a months-long, multi-agency investigation.

Police believe Jarvis shot at dusk and mistook his friend for a deer, and the two men fabricated a story to try to cover up what happened.

Jarvis was charged with a felony count of assault and misdemeanor charges of reckless endangerment, falsely reporting an incident and making a false written statement as well as non-criminal trespass, according to the DEC.

Fish was charged with misdemeanor hindering prosecution, falsely reporting an incident and non-criminal trespass, police said.

Both men were arraigned Tuesday night, pleaded not guilty and were sent to Washington County Jail for lack of bail. They are due to answer the charges March 19 in Hebron Town Court.

Fish and Jarvis were charged in connection with a late-afternoon shooting in a field off county Route 30.

Washington County sheriff’s officers were the first on the scene, and based on what Fish told them, concluded that it appeared that Fish’s rifle accidentally discharged, striking him in the hand.

But Fish publicly protested that conclusion, saying that the stock of his gun was damaged and the shot came from off to his right.

Fish spent nearly four days in Albany Medical Center and lost two of his fingers from the first knuckle up.

He said he was hunting with two acquaintances on land they have permission to use and were walking out around 5 p.m. when the injury occurred. But the DEC concluded they were on private property where they did not have permission to hunt.

In an interview with The Post-Star after his release from the hospital, Fish said he did not know who shot him.

He initially told police he thought his gun accidentally discharged. But when the damage to his gun’s stock was noted, he said he concluded the shot came from elsewhere, but he did not know from whom.

“It was an incredibly loud bang and the gun jumped away from me,” Fish said during a December interview. “It came from behind us. Someone took a shot at us.”

Washington County District Attorney Tony Jordan praised the police investigation, saying the DEC officers worked tirelessly to find out what really happened, using forensics and other tools, assisted by the county Sheriff’s Office and State Police crime laboratory.

The DEC’s director of law enforcement said his agency’s investigators quickly had reasons to doubt the men’s version of events.

“It came in as a self-inflicted shooting, but we have been doing this long enough that we know a self-inflicted when we see it,” DEC Director of Law Enforcement Joseph Schneider said. “These guys worked really hard on this case. It was just a case of good, old-fashioned police work.”

An online fundraiser had been set up to help Fish with medical bills, but it was no longer active as of this week.