We're heading into what for most teams will be the final weekend of high school football season. We already had several crossover games played this week for teams to finish out their nine-game schedule. Unless teams choose to play a 10th game, the only teams that will play next weekend are those in championship games.
By the way, the Class AA championship game will be played at the University at Albany next Friday night, ending speculation on where the game might be played.
Friday night, Queensbury and South Glens Falls are both in playoff action in the Class A semifinals, while Schuylerville is at Schalmont in a Class B semifinal game. All three are 7 p.m. kickoffs. Saratoga Springs is scheduled to host Shaker in a Class AA semi at 7:30 p.m.
On Saturday, Hudson Falls plays at Glens Falls in Jug Game II, the other Class B semifinal, at 1:30 p.m. at Putt LaMay Memorial Field. Also, the Class D semis are at Schuylerville High School, with Greenwich facing Hoosic Valley at 1 p.m., and Cambridge and Warrensburg squaring off at 7 p.m.
So here's a quick look at my one-man Section II poll -- not necessarily a prediction of who will meet in the sectional finals, but which teams I think are playing the best at this point of the season:
1. Troy (8-0); 2. Saratoga Springs (8-0); 3. Shaker (7-1); 4. Shenendehowa (7-1); 5. Guilderland (5-4). Honorable mention: Bethlehem (5-4), Colonie (5-4).
1. Burnt Hills (8-0); 2. Averill Park (7-1); 3. Queensbury (5-3); 4. South Glens Falls (5-3); 5. Amsterdam (3-6). Honorable mention: Gloversville (3-5).
1. Glens Falls (8-0); 2. Schuylerville (7-1); 3. Hudson Falls (5-3); 4. Cobleskill (7-2); 5. Schalmont (5-3). Honorable mention: Hudson (5-4), Ravena (4-5).
1. Holy Trinity (7-1); 2. Stillwater (7-1); 3. Chatham (6-2); 4. Hoosick Falls (5-3); 5. Mechanicville (7-2). Honorable mention: Watervliet (6-3), Voorheesville (5-4), Lake George/Hadley-Luzerne (4-4); Tamarac (4-5).
1. Greenwich (8-0); 2. Cambridge (7-1); 3. Warrensburg (7-1); 4. Hoosic Valley (4-4); 5. Canajoharie (6-2). Honorable mention: Whitehall (4-4).
Don't forget to check out the state rankings on the New York State Sportswriters Association Road to Syracuse website:
-- Currently, Glens Falls is No. 1 in Class B with a 21-game winning streak, while Schuylerville is ranked eighth.
-- In Class D, Greenwich remains No. 2 behind Clyde-Savannah of Section V, while Cambridge is ranked fifth and Ticonderoga is seventh. Moriah, which plays Ti tonight for the Section VII championship, is No. 11. Warrensburg moved up to 16th.
-- In Class A, Burnt Hills is ranked fourth and Averill Park is 11th, while Queensbury and South Glens Falls are honorable mentions.
-- Troy remains on top of Class AA and is also on a 21-game winning streak. Saratoga is ranked 19th and Shaker is 24th in the rankings.
-- In Class C, Holy Trinity and Stillwater are ranked 10th and 11th, respectively, in the state. Chatham is ranked 15th and Mechanicville 20th.