State news tile

Smell something fishy or see something unusual?

The state Department of Environmental Conservation said it wants to know.

In its "Green, Clean, 2019 Air Mail! Newsletter," the agency said if you notice changes, "you can help the environment and DEC by reporting suspected violations."

The ways to do that are:

• Calling the regional air pollution control engineer, James Coutant (for Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington counties) at (518) 623-1200 during normal business hours;

• Call 1-844-332-3267 hotline, which is open 24/7;

• Use the DEC's online form to report suspected violations: dec.ny.gov/regulations/67751.html;

• Contact an environmental conservation officer in the area. A list for Region 5 is available at dec.ny.gov/about/698.html

"To help DEC respond promptly to your complaint or tip, please be prepared to provide detailed information about what, where and when you observed the air pollution event occurring," it said. "In all cases, you may request to file a complaint anonymously. Use your best judgment when making a complaint, and don’t put yourself at risk. Always observe the situation from a safe distance if you think harmful gases or materials are involved, and never trespass. Don’t be afraid to report things, even if you think someone else already has. Help DEC sniff out violations so that we can all enjoy a clean environment."

— Gwendolyn Craig

Be the first to know - Sign up for Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reporter Gwendolyn Craig can be reached at (518) 742-3238 or gcraig@poststar.com. Follow her on Twitter @gwendolynnn1


Load comments