The sugar industry contributed $9,000 to the campaign of U.S. Rep. Elise Stefanik, R-Willsboro, in the 1st quarter, bringing total sugar industry contributions to the campaign this election cycle to $11,000, according to a report the campaign filed Friday with the Federal Election Commission.
The breakdown is as follows:
- American Crystal Sugar Co. -- $1,000
- Michigan Sugar Company Growers -- $2,000
- Minn-Dak Farmers Cooperative Sugar -- $1,000, bringing total contributed this election cycle to $2,000
- Snake River Sugar Co. -- $1,000
- Western Sugar Cooperative -- $1,000, bringing contributed this election cycle to $2,000
- Florida Sugar Cane League -- $1,000
- Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar -- $1,000
- American Sugar Cane League -- $1,000
Stefanik is running for re-election in the 21st Congressional District against Democrat Mike Derrick, a retired Army colonel from Peru, in Clinton County, and Green Party candidate Matt Funiciello, a bread company owner and political activist from Hudson Falls.