Adirondack Thunder

GLENS FALLS — The Manchester Monarchs made sure the second period didn’t feel like it had middle child syndrome on Wednesday.

The Monarchs were special in the second period, scoring three times in a 4-2 ECHL win over the Adirondack Thunder at Cool Insuring Arena.

“In the second period for some reason we were on our heels,” Thunder forward Ty Loney said. “We weren’t bringing it to them, they were bringing it to us. We needed to find a way to push back. Instead we let them push us.”

Loney had put Adirondack ahead 1-0 in the first when he tipped in Terrence Wallin’s shot from inside the blue line.

Manchester tied it at 1 on a one-timer from Zac Lynch off a nice Sam Kurker assist at 4:36 of the second. A little more than two minutes later, the Thunder fell victim to a strange bounce, as the puck bounced off the end wall right to Matt Schwarz on the far side near the crease and he buried it.

There appeared to be hope for the Thunder, as Pierre-Luc Mercier poked in Eric Neiley’s pass from behind the goal at 15:14, but the Monarchs struck once more before the period ended, and it wasn’t a good goal to allow.

Spencer Watson’s short pass was near two Thunder defensemen, but Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman got to it first and wristed one past Chris Nell.

“We were so far back, our gap was at the bottom of the hashmark, it should’ve been way up by the blue line,” Thunder coach Brad Tapper said. “And our guys need to track a lot harder. … Guys are just coasting back.”

The intensity picked up for both teams in the third period. Mercier nearly tied it with 3 minutes left when he clanged one off the post. The Monarchs, however, sealed the win with 1:10 left when Matt Leitner scored an empty-net goal. The Thunder’s Ben Murphy also hit one off the post with 42 seconds left.

“I thought the effort was there at times, we outshot them nearly two to one,” Tapper said. “Too many passengers, especially wall play and getting the puck out.”

The Thunder were without reliable forward Brian Ward, but got a lift from the return of Loney, who had been with Syracuse in the AHL, and captain Mike Bergin, recovered from an injury and playing for the first time since Nov. 11.

“I’ve been itching to get back for a while,” Bergin said. “Hoping for a win. Tough break, but we’re looking forward to Friday and getting back on track.”

The Thunder play at Worcester on Friday, before turning around and hosting Worcester on Saturday.

Monarchs 4, Thunder 2

Manchester 0 3 1 — 4

Adirondack 1 1 0 — 2

First Period — 1, Adirondack, Loney 14 (Wallin), 7:13. Penalties — Saucerman, Man (high-sticking), 9:29; Cote, Adk (unsportsmanlike), 15:57; Bergin, Adk (interference), 17:31.

Second Period — 2, Manchester, Lynch 14 (Kurker, Leitner), 4:36. 3, Manchester, Schmalz 6 (Nemcik), 6:47. 4, Adirondack, Mercier 7 (Neiley), 15:14. 5, Manchester, LaVallee-Smotherman 12 (Watson, Aagaard), 18:18. Penalties — Bergin, Adk (tripping), 1:09; Wyszomirski, Man (roughing), 9:41; Lynch, Man (hooking), 11:11; Doherty, Man, minor-major (roughing, fighting), 18:40; Riley, Adk, major (fighting), 18:40.

Third Period — 6, Manchester, Leitner 6 (Lynch), 18:50 (en). Penalties — Wyszomirski, Man (roughing), 4:05; Neiley, Adk (roughing), 4:05; Riley, Adk (roughing), 14:17; Privitera, Man (tripping), 16:10; Loney, Adk, game misconduct, 18:50.

Shots on Goal — Manchester 10-9-5-24. Adirondack 12-16-12-40.

Power Plays — Manchester 0-4; Adirondack 0-5.

Goalies — Manchester, Williams 11-4-1-0 (40 shots-38 saves). Adirondack, Nell 1-2-0-0 (23 shots-20 saves).

A — 1,741.

Ref — Olivier Gouin.

Follow Will Springstead on Twitter @WSpringsteadPSV.


Sports Reporter

Load comments