Real Estate 20 Under 40

West Glens Falls fire station damaged by electrical fire

2012-08-01T08:06:00Z 2012-08-01T14:56:46Z West Glens Falls fire station damaged by electrical fireBy DON LEHMAN -- dlehman@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star
August 01, 2012 8:06 am  • 

QUEENSBURY -- The West Glens Falls Fire Department's main station was damaged by an electrical fire late Tuesday, but the department's vehicles and firefighting equipment were not damaged.

The blaze at the station at the corner of Luzerne and Veterans roads was reported shortly before midnight. The station was running on electrical generators Wednesday morning, and will be manned until further notice.

The fire has not affected the department's ability to respond to calls.

It started in the east corner of the kitchen with an electrical problem with a microwave oven, and burned the wall and ceiling. The charred microwave sat outside the building Wednesday morning.

No one was injured, but the kitchen will need extensive repairs and the recently renovated banquet hall suffered water and smoke damage.

It would have been much worse if a member of the department hadn't stopped by to check on the building and heard the sound of a fire alarm going off.

West Glens Falls Assistant Fire Chief Scott Dickinson said the electrical problem that caused the fire also shorted the station's phone and cable system, so the alarm signal was not transmitted to the monitoring company.

Lt. James Worth had pulled into the lot because the department had been monitoring the building closely in light of continuing electrical problems that had been occurring in recent weeks, Dickinson said.

The fire began with a microwave, but a cable modem was also found melted in an equipment room early Wednesday, Dickinson said.

The building's sprinkler system did activate, the assistant chief said.

Officials said the problems were believed to have stemmed from a lightning strike several weeks ago, but electricians and National Grid had visited several times in recent weeks and been unable to find the problem.

Electrical equipment was damaged in recent weeks by apparent power surges.

"It was just one little thing after another, but no one could figure it out. National Grid was here for three or four hours a couple of times," Dickinson said.

A wedding was planned for the banquet hall this weekend, and a cleanup company was en route to the station Wednesday morning to try to clean up the recently renovated hall.

Copyright 2015 Glens Falls Post-Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(1) Comments

  1. jdguay
    Report Abuse
    jdguay - August 01, 2012 10:37 am
    I believe this is the high school definition of irony. Glad nobody was hurt.

RULES FOR COMMENTING ONLINE

1) Comments must be contained to the topic of the articles only. Comments that stray from the direct subject of the article will be deleted.

2) Readers are free to comment on and debate other readers' comments, but comments must specifically address the issue(s) raised. Comments containing personal insults directed toward another reader in any form will be deleted.

3) Comments must be civil in tone, and there will be no name calling of any kind. Uncivil or inappropriate comments will be deleted, as will any comment containing profanities.

4) Comments critical of crime or accident victims will be deleted.

5) Comments that are potentially libelous, including those that contain accusations not supported by facts, will be deleted.

Commenters who abuse these policies will have their e-mail registrations revoked.

 

View the full commenting policy.

Thank you, and we hope you enjoy interacting with us and the community.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

loading...

Search Homes for Sale

Search Classifieds