Pet Star 20 Under 40

Warren County orders restaurant closed

2012-10-01T16:00:00Z 2012-10-06T20:25:49Z Warren County orders restaurant closedBy DON LEHMAN -- dlehman@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star
October 01, 2012 4:00 pm  • 

LAKE GEORGE -- A Beach Road restaurant has been ordered closed by a Lake George town justice after it repeatedly failed to address fire prevention code violations.

Gyro King was closed Sept. 14 by order of town Justice Michael Stafford after Warren County officials found that the operator refused to install a fire suppression system and range hood for the eatery’s commercial cooking system.

A commercial deep fryer, grill and range were also installed without county permits.

In addition to the closure, Stafford imposed a $2,500 civil penalty. To reopen, the code violations have to be rectified and civil penalty paid.

Stafford’s order came after the Warren County Building Codes office cited the business in August when an inspection found that operator Naeem Yousuf had not installed equipment that is required by state code.

Karen Putney, the director of the county Building Codes office, said her office has been trying to get Yousuf to comply for more than a year.

He was notified of the violations during an inspection last year, and repeatedly advised they needed to be fixed or he faced sanctions, officials said.

“They brought appliances in and installed them with no fire protection,” Putney said. “We’re in year two here and it hasn’t been fixed.”

Yousuf did not respond to the citation, and did not attend the court hearing held Sept. 13.

County Attorney Martin Auffredou said the business has apparently not opened since Stafford’s order was issued.

County building inspectors will check to make sure it remains closed until the necessary equipment is installed, and if needed police will be called to enforce it, he said.

Auffredou said the building’s owner, Thomas Zeppier, and the man to whom he leases the space, Mohammed Tariq, have tried to get Yousuf to comply to no avail. Tariq has subleased the building to Yousuf.

“Mr. Zeppier has indicated he intends to address it,” Auffredou said.

The building sits two doors east of the Canada Street and Beach Road intersection. No one was at the restaurant Monday afternoon, though what appeared to be food was wrapped in aluminum foil on a grill.

Auffredou said the order to shutter the business was the first since the county began its own fire inspections last year.

He said a number of other businesses have been cited, but the owners have generally worked with the county to make the necessary fixes and the court cases have not gone as far as closure being ordered.

Copyright 2015 Glens Falls Post-Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(6) Comments

  1. taberski
    Report Abuse
    taberski - October 05, 2012 7:41 am
    Forced to shut down,they closed for the season! It wouldn't look good for the village if they closed them down during the season,plus look @ all the revenue they wood have lost. Wake up people,safety only matters until it costs money!
  2. ab
    Report Abuse
    ab - October 02, 2012 8:14 am
    They were so concerrned that they waited ovr a year. Nice. Who would have been at fault should there have been a fatal fire??
  3. JennyGirl
    Report Abuse
    JennyGirl - October 02, 2012 6:39 am
    I can't believe how he kept ignoring EVERYONE telling him to fix the problem including the land lord. This just shows he obviously doesn't care. I tell you what, I will never eat there. I would much rather give my business to responsible business owners.
  4. dot2dot
    Report Abuse
    dot2dot - October 01, 2012 5:05 pm
    I am sure there are many restaurant regulations that are nothing more than licensing fees. But when it comes to fire prevention,employee safety, and the safe preparation of food the regulations need to be enforced. It should not have taken over a year to finally enforce the regulations. You have to wonder how many other local restaurants might me in violation? A few more closures and I suspect the regulations will be much easier to enforce!
  5. Bob1234
    Report Abuse
    Bob1234 - October 01, 2012 4:22 pm
    Adhering to fire codes seems like an obvious, responsible thing to do. Fires do happen -- remember the pizza restaurant fire in August? It's unfortunate that we have a business here that has disregarded public and employee safety regulations for so long. Glad to see the town and the county acting on it. This kind of business-owner behavior just reflects badly on all the responsible businesses in the area.

    It's time to tighten-up on the regulations so the county and town can act more quickly for similar cases in the future, before a tragedy occurs.


  6. scottycc31
    Report Abuse
    scottycc31 - October 01, 2012 4:20 pm
    Why wait a whole year to shut them down?? 30 day notice "or else" is more than fair.

RULES FOR COMMENTING ONLINE

1) Comments must be contained to the topic of the articles only. Comments that stray from the direct subject of the article will be deleted.

2) Readers are free to comment on and debate other readers' comments, but comments must specifically address the issue(s) raised. Comments containing personal insults directed toward another reader in any form will be deleted.

3) Comments must be civil in tone, and there will be no name calling of any kind. Uncivil or inappropriate comments will be deleted, as will any comment containing profanities.

4) Comments critical of crime or accident victims will be deleted.

5) Comments that are potentially libelous, including those that contain accusations not supported by facts, will be deleted.

Commenters who abuse these policies will have their e-mail registrations revoked.

 

View the full commenting policy.

Thank you, and we hope you enjoy interacting with us and the community.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

loading...

Search Homes for Sale

Search Classifieds