CAMBRIDGE — A home in the village of Cambridge was heavily damaged by fire early Tuesday, and two pets apparently died.

Firefighters were called to the home at the corner of Division and Spring streets around 6:45 a.m.

Cambridge-Greenwich Police Chief George Bell said the owner, himself a volunteer firefighter, had left for work in Greenwich a short time earlier, and no one was in the home.

A dog and cat were believed to have died in the fire. Bell said the home did not appear salvageable.

Bell said the fire appeared to have started with a portable electric heater that was left on in a bathroom when residents had left.

American Red Cross volunteers from the northeastern New York chapter also came to the scene and provided emergency aid, according to a press release from the organization. Financial assistance was provided for shelter, food and clothing, and emotional support was also provided.

The Cambridge Fire Department wrote on its Facebook page that clothing and donations were being accepted for homeowner Robert Green and his son, Dakota.

Clothing can be dropped off at the Dempsey residence, 255 Ash Grove Road in Cambridge. Sizes are as follows:

Robert Green:

3XL shirt, size 10 shoes/boots, 40 x 30 pants, socks, underwear, pajama bottoms, winter coat, hat and gloves.

Dakota:

11 1/2 shoes, 30x30 pants and medium shirts.

They also need toiletries, and if you would like to donate cash to help the family, it can be done under Robert Green’s name at TCT Federal Credit Union.

An online fund has been set up at www.gofundme.com/help-greener-dakota.

“As the day moves on and reality sets in we will be sharing more ways to help our brother,” the department posted on Facebook.

1
7
0
0
0

Load comments