Teen Excellence Warren County Memories book

Lawyer says mother of teen blames strippers for birthday party gone bad

2013-03-07T16:45:00Z 2013-03-08T10:25:20Z Lawyer says mother of teen blames strippers for birthday party gone badDON LEHMAN -- dlehman@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star
March 07, 2013 4:45 pm  •

MOREAU -- It was the strippers’ fault.

That’s the defense Moreau mother Judy H. Viger apparently plans to pursue for charges she endangered the welfare of five teens by hiring strippers for her son’s 16th birthday party.

Viger pleaded not guilty Thursday in Moreau Town Court to five misdemeanor charges of endangering the welfare of a child.

Her lawyer, Joseph Brennan, said Thursday that Viger had arranged for what was supposed to be a “bikini gram” in which women in bathing suits sang “Happy Birthday” to Viger’s son and left.

The dancers instead began to “turn to activity that wasn’t planned” and when Judy Viger asked the crew of people who accompanied them to get them to stop, “she was laughed at,” Brennan said.

“It went beyond what her understanding was and what was anticipated,” he said. “It took about 10 minutes for her to get them to stop.”

Viger did not commit any crimes, he said.

The company that provided the dancers, Tops in Bottoms of Ballston Spa, does advertise “bikini grams” on its website.

The charges pertain to specific teens under the age of 17 who on Nov. 3 received “lap dances” or other similar physical contact with two women in bras and panties at a party held in a private room at Spare Time Bowling Center in South Glens Falls for the 16th birthday of Viger’s son, Reggie.

Pictures of the party were posted on social media websites, leading to a police investigation that spawned widespread publicity.

Viger was allowed to remain free on her own recognizance, with the case adjourned until April 4. She faces up to 2 years in Saratoga County Jail if convicted of the charges.

Saratoga County District Attorney James Murphy said there have been no plea talks in the case and his office is ready for trial.

1. billybobskiff
    billybobskiff - March 17, 2013 9:37 pm
    You really should not judge these girls who dance for a living. They are not all sleazy trashy whores as you would portray them to be.
  2. billybobskiff
    billybobskiff - March 17, 2013 9:32 pm
    Women have a right to do as they chose. These women choose to make money by dancing and preforming in this way. Just because you find it objectionable does not mean what these girls get paid for is setting women's rights back. its called entertainment and these girls get paid very well. That said this mother was way out of line here and should be punished accordingly.
  3. Key
    Key - March 16, 2013 4:25 am
    That is sick. These businesses should stay out of this, and let the legal system take care of the situation. I would not use these companies for any work either.
  4. Key
    Key - March 16, 2013 4:23 am
    "Field of Work"? There is nothing about this that anything to do with honest work. Stripping is legal, but it is not in any way a profession. Deviant lifestyles are not worth defending. How about fetish videos, is that work too? It is legal to do these things, but it is still stupid and a waste of time.
  5. Spiney Norman
    Spiney Norman - March 15, 2013 11:30 pm
    Mom got a lap dance too - in front of her kid/kids freinds ???? The only thing that would have screwed my head up worse as a teen than seeing my father stuff bills into the thong (?) of a male stripper would have been seeing my mom getting a lap dance from a female stripper. Wait, now that I think about it, my head would've exploded in either circumstance (yeah I know, this makes me a 'hater', phobic blah blah ...) Not trying to fan the flames here but I'm wondering if dear old mom didn't see this as an opportunity to dabble in some same sex foreplay - hiring the girls for the son was just a pretext: "I was only going along with the fun" (plausible deniability etc.). I don't mean to imply she is lesbian whatever, just maybe a little 'curious'. With the garbage being spewed all over TV, including commercials, movies and pop culture in general, our society has become morally bankrupt IMHO. This story is just be another sign of the times. I would hope the penalty doesn't involve jail.
  6. nyyankee
    nyyankee - March 15, 2013 10:28 am
    Still don't understand how this one incident will set back woman's rights 50 years!? Lets not forget, that the women doing the stripping, are making money by being objectified! The entire point, is that the boys were too young for type of "entertainment". Woman's rights will be fine.....
  7. snowball58
    snowball58 - March 14, 2013 5:31 pm
    Women have been trying to rise about this for years, that they are not objects for men to play with so they can get their rocks off. This Mother is promoting it!!
  8. nyyankee
    nyyankee - March 14, 2013 9:40 am
    As bad as it was, I seriously doubt that it set woman's rights back 50 years! I'm not defending her but, come on? That's the kind of statement, that's WAY over the top!
  9. snowball58
    snowball58 - March 13, 2013 5:20 pm
    I thought I would take a look at the website, Tops and Bottoms, what in the world was mom thinking??What a sleazy website! Why would you want your child associating with people like that, these girls must have been so scuzzy. Mom is guilty of all the charges, including being a dope!
  10. Sweeney
    Sweeney - March 13, 2013 4:50 pm
    One can tell the difference between and 18 year old and an 13 year old.
  11. Sweeney
    Sweeney - March 13, 2013 4:45 pm
    I don't wish jail time on Mrs. Viger, however, I wish she would just acccept responsibility and stop trying to cast blame on everyone else. Own it! First, what did she expect she was going to get from a "Gentleman's club"? Second, from the pics I have see she must not have attempted to stop it until after her lap dance. You going to tell me these ladies putting their lady parts in the boys face couldn't be stopped? I don't buy the bikini gram, maybe taking your boy to Hooters would have been a better idea. No jail time, her boys don't need to be without a mom for poor judgement, maybe some community service.
  12. timberandtwigs
    timberandtwigs - March 13, 2013 5:31 am
    Mrs. Viger has repeatedly stated that she welcomes the opportunity for the truth to come out, in fairness to her I look forward to it. On the other hand, if news reports are accurate she has pinged and ponged between defending her actions and projecting blame anywhere she thinks it will stick. I went to the Tops and Bottoms web site and one quick scroll down it's home page would have brought most parents to their senses realizing this would be mortify a teen aged boy, add a trashy not classy mark to this special birthday. The pictures indicate that Mrs. Vigor received a lap dance while at the same time alleging to be blaming everyone else in the brown paper covered room. To add insult to injury, she seems to imply she is the victim in this. If I entrust my children to your care and keeping, I would prefer you keep the crotch of a strange adult woman out of my sons face. This seems very suggestive behavior. Concerning to say the least.
  13. momandprovider
    momandprovider - March 13, 2013 12:50 am
    Relax motion. We have the same right as u to discuss what we feel,think,believe..so on. And whether u r a stripper,officer,CPS worker or whatever line of work u choose, along with that comes a level of responsibility! So YES i do belive the strippers should have ben able to pick out a few minors,i mean if u read some articles as u implied we may not have, there were children as young as 14 present! And if as u stated the strippers WERE reluctant to perform, SOMEONE knew something was a little off..u think! ? Sometimes what u say in someones defense actually does more harm than good!
  14. snowball58
    snowball58 - March 12, 2013 10:39 pm
    It was NOT the strippers responsibility to figure out the ages of the boys there. Mommie Dearest should have had the common sense to not have a party for 14to17 year olds with strippers involved. There should be a conviction for stupidity.
  15. Motion to party
    Motion to party - March 12, 2013 6:37 pm
    Obviously, you two have missed much of the news on this case. Both the DA and police have closed their investigations. Considering your lay knowledge of the law I would be remiss to neglect the fact that such is common practice. As to the facts that we can and can't know, we can't know what exactly happened on the call or what exactly was said at the alley by either party or if either had objections. We do know the police and DA have concluded their investigations on the strippers and their employer as can be read on Huffpost, NYDaily News, and countless other sources. So you're assuming there is still criminality despite the investigation saying otherwise. Additionally other publications have noted the strippers reluctance to perform. But hey what are facts when you're going on a Puritan Rant? Lastly, can you tell the difference between every 17 year old boy and every 18 year old boy you meet? Or even every 16 year old from those that are of the age of majority?
  16. Motion to party
    Motion to party - March 12, 2013 6:13 pm
    You're not a lawyer and it is clear. To begin the word is criminality. Typically the word liability is used in the arena of civil disputes. Furthermore, "rebuttable" is not a word, that is why the red squiggly line appears under it.

Your opinion is not a legal opinion or an informed one its just puritan bashfulness.

A crime is much more than a black and white delineation. A man shooting another is murder if there is no provocation but the same man shooting an intruder is self defense. In short, a crime is built of several elements. If only some of the elements of the crime exist or can only be discovered the DA will not lay those charges on the suspect as proving the actual crime in a legal and fair way is impossible.

The really pity is that you feel that this sort of bashing of innocent parties because you disagree with their field of work is some sort of fair, unbiased, and qualified legal opinion.
  17. CMWA
    CMWA - March 12, 2013 3:57 pm
    Lets see, a few people got lap dances at this party, and they lasted how long each? She says it took 10 mins to stop? Things don't add up. Literally. I want to know was the brown paper up before, was it always there? Some of you don't think this was a big deal, your entitled to your opinions. Personally as a parent If I knew this was going to go on, I wouldn't let my son go. Its one thing when they discover things like this on their own. Its another, when parents promote it. How would these, who say it is okay, feel if the strippers were men and this was a young ladies party with 14-15 year old girls in attendance, the same? Double standard? Either way it was inappropriate, offensive and criminally liable for multiple parties.
  18. snowball58
    snowball58 - March 11, 2013 5:09 pm
    Mom has sent back womens rights about 50 years. How about teaching your son how to respect a women, that she is not an object? Who in their right mind hires skanks in bikinis to come parade in front of their high school son, and also with 14 year olds there? I work in a school system and I see time and again parents who want to be friends with their kids. I think Mom knew all along what was going to happen here, then why were the windows papered over? The pictures I saw were pretty disgusting, it didn't look like Mom was stopping anything.
  19. Resident of GF
    Resident of GF - March 10, 2013 7:43 am
    My whole take on this story is what is this "mother" teaching her son about women? Doesn't she want him to choose a beautiful, smart, successful woman as a girlfriend and wife someday? Not some woman who only uses her body to gain attention and money. Poor morals and choices by a mother of 4 kids.
  20. momandprovider
    momandprovider - March 09, 2013 10:41 pm
    I totally agree F4PHANTOMII! Not only in this situation,but in many i sm reading in the papers these days i am seeing alot of hairsplitting! Are we to honestly to believe these strppers walked into a room full of people and were not able to clearly see that there weresome minors amongst the group!? OK! And who took the call? Were they clear on the fact this was for a minor,did she relay the message?! DID anyone see the need here for some caution? I mean thats if u can even get past the question of why? I mean this is something ur girls or buddies do..rite..but ur parents?! I mean she is his mom rite!? (Sarcasm)
  21. kate
    kate - March 09, 2013 9:03 pm
    Makes sense now - definitely damage control.

Does not surprise me at all that the "Mom" participated in this debacle.

I can't wait to hear what comes out in the trial...I thought all along that we have not heard the entire story...yet...
  22. Loni H
    Loni H - March 09, 2013 6:18 pm
    I believed what I was told. It is too bad that I was so trusting. It is too bad I was lied to. I am sorry and I made a mistake. I learned a very hard lesson. Because of this, I no longer trust anyone, I always think someone is lying to me. I am willing to admit to my errors. And I am sorry for defending the whole issue, it was so wrong.
  23. yourfunny
    yourfunny - March 09, 2013 5:27 pm
    Reggie raised $5,600 and him and his family were thanking donors for making donations to help the recipients and congratulating all the South High dancers, how is that damage control? If anything its awesome and kind way of saying thank you !!
  24. hdekhtereva
    hdekhtereva - March 09, 2013 5:19 pm
    It makes perfect sense. Adirondack Tree Surgeons Inc. is owned by Phil & Judy Vigor.

By the way, Mrs. Vigor got a lap dance at the party, now that's interesting.
  25. yourfunny
    yourfunny - March 09, 2013 4:56 pm
    Loni H - November 13, 2012 9:05 pmMy son attended the party -- do I think it was a big deal -- not really. Maybe you should pay more attention to your sons -- I think most 16 year olds are real curious and look at plenty of pictures. Is this something CPS should be involved or the SGF Police, I don't think so. Where is CPS when children are given tickets are underage drinking parties--that is breaking the law. We need to be policing our own children. If you think it is so offensive, maybe you should teach your children to leave and walk away from something their parents are against. I happen to think the parents of this 16 year old are very good parents. I certainly hope that you parents who are complaining so loudly have not made any mistakes in your lives!!! WHAT A HYPOCRITE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  26. Loni H
    Loni H - March 09, 2013 3:34 pm
    I don't think that any of the "little johnnies" should "keep your mouth shut." I am unhappy that it was a week before my son told me anything. Children should always be able to come home and tell their parents want happen -- not keep things hidden away. And just a reminder for you, these were children, all under 18, most 16 and under and quite a few 14 and 15. Our children should never fear telling their parents what they witnessed or were a party too.
    F4PHANTOMII - March 09, 2013 3:20 pm
    There is plenty of criminal liability yet to be explored. How about charging each the strippers involved with endangering the welfare with one count for every minor at the party? Are they not as responsible for their conduct as this excuse of a mother? And for its part, the business providing the “services” of the strippers must share some liability. And really, papering the windows is certainly evidence; rebuttable of course, that this excuse of a mother was fully aware of what was to happen. She’s also guilty of abandoning her parental responsibility, choosing, as too many parents do today, of wanting to be her son’s friend. It’s a pity that there is no felony stupid charge in the penal law. Perhaps DA Murphy could work a little harder prosecute every one criminally liable.
  28. truthplz
    truthplz - March 09, 2013 9:33 am
    Yea the whole town is a bunch of dolts...you idiot! That's how the children are able to pull of for the last 38 years a marathon dance that has raised alomst $4 million for people in need in our area. We also made national news for the dance! Ever read that line in the bible...Judge not lest ye be judged???
  29. nyyankee
    nyyankee - March 09, 2013 8:49 am
    So, two incidents in how many years and the entire population of SGF is stupid? Man it's a good thing that we in SGF, DONT judge other towns/cities by the actions of a few. Also as I've stated, the Vigers don't live in SGF, but lucky for us (note the sarcasm) they are in our school district.
  30. kate
    kate - March 08, 2013 9:22 pm
    Has anyone seen this week's issue of The Chronicle? Adirondack Tree Surgeons has a full page ad congratulating Reggie Viger for his participation in the South High Marathon Dance, with Reggie Viger sending out a shout out to all his supporters.

Can you say "damage control"?

It's interesting to see the local companies that are listed in the ad, supporting this family...

Interesting, isn't it?
  31. bodie
    bodie - March 08, 2013 4:18 pm
    I wonder who will be testifying under oath to exactly what at the trial???
  32. Key
    Key - March 08, 2013 1:37 pm
    She never called the police about it, and none of the other adults present called the police. Any adults that were in that room should be held accountable and prosecuted for their role as well.
  33. Key
    Key - March 08, 2013 1:34 pm
    Yes, you have a valid point. Why hide what is happening in the room, if it is ok?
  34. Key
    Key - March 08, 2013 1:32 pm
    It is not a flaw in the legal system, it is called accountability.
  35. neverforget911
    neverforget911 - March 08, 2013 12:26 pm
    I suppose that the pictures she took and posted on her social media site were actually taken to be used as evidence against the bikini gram people!?! Yeah right. Mother Vigor you were wrong, you made a mistake; you tried to cover it up, admit your mistake, take your punishment and learn from it. Stop blaming others for your poor choices!!
  36. nyyankee
    nyyankee - March 08, 2013 11:17 am
    Now it's the entire village of SGF that's at fault!? The Viger doesn't even live in SGF! It kind of ridiculous to call everybody in SGF stupid, when it was one "parent" who was responsible for the entire debacle! I live in SFG and was as shocked and appalled as the rest of you.....
  37. Gem277
    Gem277 - March 08, 2013 8:34 am
    Hey Bencats - we also made national news last week when the kids at South High raised $489K at the annual Marathon dance - and for THAT we ARE proud. And by the way - let's not assume all residents of SGF are stupid because of a a momentary lapse in judgement by a few teenagers. Grow up and take it easy on the punctuation.
  38. billybobskiff
    billybobskiff - March 08, 2013 8:03 am
    Did this mother ask the strippers to stop before or after she got a lap dance? It is my belief that this is a good time to teach her son how to take responsibility for his actions by her taking responsibility for hers. Just plead guilty save the tax payers money and pay your fines.
  39. cfunk4g
    cfunk4g - March 08, 2013 7:56 am
    Yes they are stupid, just a few years back our high school VP was on the news for racy pics of him playing with wax boobies. Pics that he posted on his facebook page, for everyone to see. So yes they are stupid time and time again.
  40. loneoak
    loneoak - March 08, 2013 7:23 am
    If she wasnt the kids mother she would have done it herself is the next story to come from this parent who doesnt have a clue.
  41. Clt82
    Clt82 - March 07, 2013 11:50 pm
    Of course it was someone else's fault. The truth is she is guilty of trying to be a cool mom who made a very poor judgement call that could now have severe consequences.

Not sure she's a repeat offender who requires such a hefty penalty to keep her from making the same poor choice again though.

Punishment should fit the crime, and when mothers are allowing their boyfriends to physically abuse their children and babies and they get a slap on the wrist and this mom is looking at facing jail time; there is a HUGE flaw in our legal system.
  42. Punch Alii
    Punch Alii - March 07, 2013 11:41 pm
    I'm sure these little johnnies (no pun intended) can get to much worse online in two seconds. If anyone should be in trouble, it should be the dancers themselves. The company does offer "Bikini-Grams", If Mrs. Viger wanted a "Bikini-Gram", and she paid for only a "Bikini-Gram", then the dancers are the only ones not on the same program. Find out what she paid for and go from there.

For example, say a raft guide is drunk and someone dies on the river. It's not the Town's fault for allowing people on the river. And it's not the outfitter's fault his guide decided to get drunk that day. Workers don't always do as they are told.

Oh - and you little johnnies have to learn when to keep your mouth shut.
  43. bencats
    bencats - March 07, 2013 11:04 pm
    Are people really supposed to believe that story????? Why would you hire women in bathing suits to come to the party? Why bother?

Do they really think people are going to believe that story. It was the strippers fault??????? Really ?????? And another thing, are ppl really that stupid in SGF to post that kind of trash on social media sites? There is one town that should be mighty proud of itself..... You made national news for this kind of GARBAGE. Keep up the good work.

44. Houligan
    Houligan - March 07, 2013 10:27 pm
    Does anyone find it strange that Mrs. Viger didn't report the companies wrong doing until she was caught letting it happen considering that she is an outstanding parent it seems she would of called and reported the sexual harassment of minors to the police?
  45. Real American
    Real American - March 07, 2013 5:38 pm
    Yes, strippers often go the extra mile without compensation. Awesome defense!
  46. beyond - belief
    beyond - belief - March 07, 2013 5:13 pm
    If this is true, then why were the windows of the room used covered with paper. No need to do so for a "bikini gram" .....