Summer iPad Air Giveaway! 20 Under 40

Head of Able Energy in Warrensburg says fuel will be delivered

2013-09-09T20:15:00Z Head of Able Energy in Warrensburg says fuel will be deliveredDON LEHMAN - dlehman@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star
September 09, 2013 8:15 pm  •

The owner of Able Energy Co. said Monday the company will resume fuel deliveries within two weeks, after dealing with a number of setbacks that halted deliveries over the summer.

The Warrensburg company has been the focus of customer complaints and queries to Warrensburg town officials recently, after its office apparently closed for several weeks, calls weren’t answered and there were no indications that deliveries were continuing.

Vincent Franzone, the New York City-based owner of the company, would not discuss the issue when reached Friday.

But Monday, after a Post-Star article on the situation, he told a reporter the company was “recapitalized” and deliveries would begin again later this month.

“We’re not going out of business,” he said. “Everyone will get their fuel.”

He said 95 percent of the company’s customers received fuel on a cash-on-delivery basis, and only a small portion were “budget plan” customers who paid set rates through the year on payment plans.

He estimated the company has about $10,000 worth of budget business, and any of those customers who wanted refunds would get them.

Franzone, who bought Able Energy in 2010 and subsequently bought two other smaller fuel companies in the region, said he “gave away $400,000 worth of fuel for the prior owner” when taking over the company.

The prior owner sold the company amid financial issues and that led to numerous customers being owed fuel and/or money.

Franzone said he was “reorganizing the company” and a number of factors caused a “slowdown” over the summer, including injuries to two drivers.

“We slowed down for the summer. I had no choice,” he said. “A whole bunch of things happened at the same time, but we’re not going out of business.”

Warrensburg Supervisor Kevin Geraghty said town officials have been getting calls for weeks about the company’s lack of response, and callers have been referred to the state Attorney General’s Office.

That agency has not said if it is investigating the situation, but Franzone said he has not heard from the Attorney General’s Office.

1. redhawk
    redhawk - September 11, 2013 9:44 am
    Now they are looking for drivers @ $12.00 an hour.

Are you kidding me? Driving a loaded fuel truck and lugging that heavy hose in all sorts of weather for 12 bucks an hour?
  2. janmurph
    janmurph - September 11, 2013 9:01 am
    My advice: Find another fuel supplier!
  3. scottmary
    scottmary - September 11, 2013 8:20 am
    I know a few elderly people who have been without fuel do to this I believe the fuel company should reimburse and give some extra fuel to boot bet hes not going without any fuel someone has to be able to fix this get a good lawyer here to work this seems no one else is trying to help these people hello think about this as you sit home with heat and some elderly people or families with children sit with no heat
  4. RangerB
    RangerB - September 10, 2013 5:13 pm
    I was a longtime customer of Able Energy until last April when they failed to deliver oil and I came home to temperatures in the 50's.(I was on an automatic deliver schedule) Of course the office was closed but there was no emergency number to call so I spent a very uncomfortable night. The next morning I called another oil company who delivered to me within two hours. Let me say that I did not owe Able for any prior deliveries, in fact they had my credit card number so that they were paid immediately after delivery. I was told at the time that the new owner was NOT in good standing with the oil suppliers in the port of Albany and was having difficulty getting fuel. It would appear that the situation has gotten worse not better. I feel badly for anyone who has already paid this company money. I hope you get the fuel they have promised - now and the rest of the winter. Good luck. As for me I have switched oil companies!
  5. sasquatch
    sasquatch - September 10, 2013 8:06 am
    It's encouraging to get feedback from Able. Hopefully this is a temporary problem. Even if the weather doesn't improve, hopefully the fuel supply climate in Warrensburg will.
  6. robzzyzx
    robzzyzx - September 09, 2013 10:02 pm
    um, and it took the Post Star article to get this moving forward? Let's see next week. Sorry, bad business practices any way you look at it, and the excuse of the prior owners obligations are a failure of the current owner not to have done proper due diligence. I hope it all works out but something isn't passing the smell test here.