GRANVILLE -- A family of six was displaced from their mobile home Saturday after a fire tore through the structure's walls and roof.
Kevin Loomis was ice fishing with one of his dogs; his wife, Casandra Loomis, was at work; and the couple's three children, ages 8, 6 and 5, were with relatives. Casandra Loomis' 13-year-old son, who also lives at the residence, was staying with a friend at the time of the fire.
The fire gutted 129 state Route 22A, but the family will temporarily relocate to the home of Marie Loomis, Kevin's mother, who lives next door.
Loomis, 47, has lived on the property his entire life.
Marie Loomis was taking care of the couple's son, Conner, in the next-door home, and her cousin had the two girls, Rhiannon and Rachael.
The children's mother, Casandra Loomis, was at work.
The home sits on a grassy hill along state Route 22A, which splits off from Route 22 in Middle Granville, and is located northeast of Mary J. Tanner elementary school.
Carol Crouch, who has lived on Riverside Drive across the street for more than 40 years, saw the smoke and said her grandson, Nick, a Middle Granville firefighter, called 911. Crouch said the roof had already started caving in as flames shot out from the home.
The Loomis family had a dog, but the animal died in the fire.
Kevin Loomis grew up on the property in a Colonial home more than a century old, but the structure had asbestos and was unsound due to a shifting in the clay quarry ground, said Marie Loomis, who also grew up in the home. Kevin Loomis later had the entire home torn down.
The family had bought the mobile home outright, and had no insurance for the home. They had lived there for about four years.
Granville Rescue Squad officials responded, and firefighters from multiple departments in New York and Vermont assisted.
The family was vibrant despite the loss. Marie Loomis said they were thankful no one was hurt.
"We knew where everyone was," Marie Loomis said, "So we were all right."