MOREAU -- A natural gas leak forced Moreau Elementary School to evacuate Monday afternoon, and school officials later decided to keep the school closed on Tuesday as utililty crews worked to fix the problem.
The school district announced on its website Monday afternoon that the school would remain closed Tuesday to allow National Grid crews to replace a broken pipe.
Students were taken by bus to Tanglewood Elementary School in South Glens Falls after the gas leak was discovered outside the building at 1:15 p.m., said school Superintendent Michael Patton.
The students spent the remainder of the school day in the cafeteria and then were dismissed at the regular time of 2:55 p.m., Patton said.
Parents were told to pick up their children at Tanglewood. Children who are bused were transported from Tanglewood.
The leak created an odor noticed inside a hallway in the school.
The district’s procedure to evacuate the building was then followed, Patton said.
National Grid spokesman Patrick Stella said a leak in an underground natural gas pipe was discovered about 10 feet from the school building. The steel pipe leads from the regular distribution main to the school.
Two crews were on the scene Monday afternoon, and Stella said the workers would stay overnight and into Tuesday, if needed, to complete the necessary pipe replacement work.
About 300 feet of pipe will be replaced, Stella said.