Bid & Buy Online Auction Upickem Golf

Duct-taped dog found and rescued in Argyle

2012-02-03T15:35:00Z 2012-02-04T18:56:54Z Duct-taped dog found and rescued in ArgyleBy DON LEHMAN -- dlehman@poststar.com and AARON EISENHAUER -- aeisenhauer@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star

ARGYLE -- State Police are investigating the discovery of a dog left along Coach Road with its legs and mouth bound with duct tape.

The big, shaggy, brown-and-gray mixed breed was spotted at around 11 a.m. Friday by Argyle Highway Department workers. It was lying on the side of Coach Road, just south of Summit Lake Road, Trooper Kevin Saunders said.

"It was just laying there," he said.

The dog's back legs had been taped together, as had the front legs, and it had been able to work free of duct tape that had been put around its mouth. It also had a nasty wound to its neck, police said.

Jason Rozelle, one of the town workers who helped the dog, said it ate grass along the side of the road after it was freed and was drinking water from a ditch.

Fellow town employee Poncho Wade, who first spotted the dog, gave it his lunch - ziti and wheat flatbread - before they took it back to the highway garage to give it dog food and jerky. Local resident Kenneth Filkins assisted as well.

Saunders said the dog was very friendly.

"He's such a nice dog. I can't believe it," Rozelle said.

The dog was turned over to the SPCA of Upstate New York, and shelter officials had it taken to a veterinarian for treatment of the neck injury.

SPCA executive director Cathy Cloutier said it appears to be a malamute/shepherd mix.

The dog was so hungry it was trying to eat a shirt and the hair that was being shaved from it to treat the neck wound when it was brought to the SPCA shelter, Cloutier said.

"The dog was starving to death," she said.

She said the dog should recover from the neck injury, which was caused by its neck growing over the collar. There were no tags on the collar.

The animal's gender was not released.

Anyone who knows who owns the dog was asked to call State Police at 583-7000.

1. truthplz
    truthplz - February 05, 2012 11:23 am
    At the risk of sounding stupid...isn't this the same dog http://poststar.com/news/local/fort-edward-man-charged-in-connection-with-duct-taped-dog/article_695a9412-4f72-11e1-9e51-001871e3ce6c.html? Seems they already know who the owner is, who did this and why they did it. And they have been charged. I'm confused...is this yet another dog?
  2. bikermom
    bikermom - February 05, 2012 8:28 am
    PMM2437 said: "IT NEVER FAILS TO BOGGLE MY MIND - IF SOMETHING HAPPENS THAT TOTALLY SCREAMS IMMORAL OR BORDERLINE INHUMAN- IT HAPPENS IN ARGYLE. I AM EMBARRASED TO LIVE IN THAT TOWN ..AND TO THE LOW LIFE THAT TREATED THIS POOR DEFENSELESS CREATURE SO BADLY ---WE WILL FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE AND YOU WILL BE SO VERY SORRY. ARGYLE IS SMALL AND YOU WERE PROBABLY STUPID ENOUGH TO LIVE RIGHT THERE ON COACH - SHAME ON YOU."
    How are you feeling this morning, knowing you put your home town down the way you did? From what I have read in the paper the man arrested was from Fort Edward and owner from Hudson Falls, no where did it say anything about an Argyle person,if you think the town is so bad, maybe you should think about moving to Fort Edward or Hudson Falls.

3. straycat
    straycat - February 04, 2012 8:06 pm
    I'm, wondering if the folks from Argyle can still live with themselves? The Men did not live in Argyle. Next time take a breath through you nose b4 feeling so down about our hometown.
  4. reddog
    reddog - February 04, 2012 6:57 pm
    I am really saddened to hear stories like this one. I am also disappointed to also find people pointing the finger at argylians for doing such tragic stuff to this dog. sorry people it is because of someone from ft edward and from hudson falls. I think both of the people involved should have to pay heavy fines and do jail time along with community service at the nearest animal shelters. come to find out the dog had to be euthanized because of late stage cancer. I am one of many who are really angry and want justice in this situation.
  5. scottycc31
    scottycc31 - February 04, 2012 3:06 pm
    This is so disturbing. I agree with one of the posters, which states that someone knows who this dog belonged to and should come forward. YES!!PLEASE COME FORWARD.If you don't, I don't know how you could live with yourself. My Grandparents had a place out near Old Coach Rd years ago. They owned their place for over 30yrs. The community is very tight out there. If this dog originally came from that area, then SOMEONE knows SOMETHING. Even if the dog was dropped there from out of the area, the picture in the paper alone, should catch this lower than life person/s. The suffering that this dog has gone through, is atrocious. I believe in Karma and people like this I hope REALLY get theirs!!!You have to be a very sick and disturbed person to do such a thing. They could have just as easily dropped the dog off and drove away...but they duck taped the legs and mouth too??..then left on side of road?? I have words to say, but if I said what I really wanted to, this wouldn't get printed!!
  6. kate
    kate - February 04, 2012 2:52 pm
    I hope that the people who helped to rescue this helpless animal reads these posts and accepts the thanks that they so rightly deserve. Caring individuals like them give me hope in a society that seems too full of sick and evil people who would do something like this to any defenseless, trusting animal. Can you imagine the fear this dog felt as he was being taped up and dropped on the side of the road? Thanks again to the wonderful people who helped him!
  7. jem36
    jem36 - February 04, 2012 2:14 pm
    I live near cossayuna lake and I know Poncho well he did what i would have done too but would have made it known when the dog is healthy I would adopt it. I have three of my own and they are my kids. How can somone be so mean like that and why haven't the so called dog warden done anything?? Surely somone must to known this person beat and abused this dog once before. He should be duct taped and starved and left to die. Yes anyone that lives in this town should be ashamed to just let that poor dog go threw this. Somehow someway this person needs to pay. Thank God for kind people that do live in this town!
  8. justanotherNYer
    justanotherNYer - February 04, 2012 1:16 pm
    I agree whole heartedy with all the previous posts and the perpitrator should be punished, but we all know how it will turn out even if they find the person responsible. Nothing much will happen to them, maybe a small fine and a warning from the judge not to do it again. The laws are too laxed for this type of crime and even if they are caught the judges are too lenient.
  9. Adirondackgirly
    Adirondackgirly - February 04, 2012 10:54 am
    how can you live with yourself...hope this person hasn't done this before! hope this scumbag is caught and punished to the full extent!

if people know who did this come forward!
  10. REDBUD
    REDBUD - February 04, 2012 9:59 am
    Why aren't any of the commenters all fired up over the articles today/yesterday involving people? A few comments about the stalker,but that's about it. Priorities people are what should separate us as humans.
  11. just another day
    just another day - February 04, 2012 9:57 am

It never fails to boggle my mind that people like you are so ignorant do you know who did it you seem to think it was someone in argyle do you know something we don't? There are plenty of people that know where argyle is ever think someone just drove out and dropped the poor dog off? There are stabbings and all kinds of stuff happening around our area and Argyle is normally not a hot spot for crimes. The lady in fort edward had her cat harmed what like a month or so ago. Embarrassed to live in argyle maybe you should move some place like the middle of glens falls and see how you like that.
  12. Thinkbeforespeaking
    Thinkbeforespeaking - February 04, 2012 8:41 am
    beaudog said: "I live in Argyle near the other end of Coach Road and I am almost ashamed to say that I live in a town where such a beast as the person that did this to an animal who certainly did not deserve to be treated as such. I read about this kind of treatment of animals and I want to cry and then lash out at the person responsible. If I ever caught a person doing something like this I would probably get myself into trouble because I would make the person taste some of his own medicine. God bless the men that found and saved this poor dog.Sincerely,Lake Pilot"
    ~~~~~ Whoever is responsible for this could have been from anywhere! Remember the people who found & saved this beautiful dog reside in Argyle! It just goes to show that it is not where you live, It's how you live and I fully agree that the person or people responsible deserve a good ole Argyle (old school) thumpin before the law takes over!
  13. upsetray
    upsetray - February 04, 2012 8:05 am
    It hard to believe the people involved in this act could be so heartless. Just goes to show that common sense in no longer common .Punishment should be swift and harsh .
  14. redthunder
    redthunder - February 04, 2012 6:09 am
    Poncho I've known you all of my life it sounds just like you to give the helpless pup your lunch!! I hope they find the person who did this and that the dog makes a full recovery :'( its sick what people are capable of. thanks to the people who helped with the rescue our little town needs more like you!!!!
  15. St-Egreve
    St-Egreve - February 04, 2012 4:29 am
    Thanks to the men who rescued this poor dog.

And to the sadistic skank who was responsible: Hey buddy, looks like your dog survived...Getting a little nervous are ya ? Maybe you should be because they're gonna find you, throw the book at you and send your skanky butt off to jail.
  16. TIME4ACHANGE
    TIME4ACHANGE - February 03, 2012 11:40 pm
    I want to applaud the people who found this dog and rescued him! When they do find this person or persons, I hope they prosecute them fully. But the laws are not as harsh as they should be for animal abuse in this state. There are so many abandoned pets that need a good home. I know this dog will find one! Interesting how when you look at the pictures, you see the trust this dog has in the people who rescued him. He could have easily turned against them but he didn't. I believe the dog knew they were there to help!! Maybe, when they find out who did this, they should duct tape the person(s) and let the dog see if he or she might like to take a "bite" out of crime!!!
  17. divine ms m
    divine ms m - February 03, 2012 11:22 pm
    I hope everyone who is disgusted by the abuse and neglect this poor dog suffered will share this article on Facebook, and say something like " Do you know this dog ? " Please turn in his owners to the NYS Police . Perhaps it will help the police get valuable tips to put away the sick bastard that did this .
  18. beaudog
    beaudog - February 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Sincerely,
    Lake Pilot
  19. Peter Guerin
    Peter Guerin - February 03, 2012 10:18 pm
    Even my cat Laptop doesn't think this should happen to a dog. Let's just hope they never meet him because if they did he'd scratch their eyes out. There's a reason why I nickname him "Cougar Kitty".

This is just sick, folks.
  20. rka123
    rka123 - February 03, 2012 9:45 pm
    I can't say what I would like to because they would deleate it so i will say I WOULD LIKE TO WRAP THE PERSON WHO DID THIS UP IN DUCT TAPE AND LEAVE THEM BESIDE THE ROAD SOMEWHERE
  21. Pamola
    Pamola - February 03, 2012 9:38 pm
    I certainly hope someone will recognize this beautiful dog and turn in the SOB of an owner. What a lowlife. Justice needs to be served. Not just a slap on the wrist either. I hope this certain individual does not have any children. God only knows what this horrible individual would do to them. I will be following any updates to this horrendous story.
  22. JenW
    JenW - February 03, 2012 9:09 pm
    Horrible. This dog's guardian angel found right two people to help. Many shelters are overfilled. We need a culture shift. It should be considered unacceptable to get pets unless you plan to keep them for their whole lives. So many people think animals are disposable. If you are outraged by this case, speak up when the people you personally know are getting animals that you know will eventually be tossed out with the trash.
  23. Snoopdawg
    Snoopdawg - February 03, 2012 9:08 pm
    This needs to make it to the national news. Most likely the person who did this is not from the loca area. Someone will recognize the dog and talk. Please forward this to Face Book and all other media.
  24. FrogWhizzer
    FrogWhizzer - February 03, 2012 7:56 pm
    My thoughts are exactly the same as everyone who has already commented. My prayers tonight are that someone will recognize the dog and lead the police in the right direction to make this situation into a happy ending. I wonder if they took finger prints from the duct tape. Seems like only a cold hearted idiot who would do this may have a criminal past, and have their prints on file already. Please God...help this dog recover and punish those involved.
  25. micismommy
    micismommy - February 03, 2012 7:38 pm
    So hard to post when I can't see through the tears...Abusers continue to abuse because they are really not punished. Had this been a humans, police and forensics would be all over this. I hope this baby does well and finds a loving home. I hope the scum that did this gets his karma!!!
  26. Cricket
    Cricket - February 03, 2012 7:27 pm
    I am almost speechless. But, if I said what I was thinking should be done to the monster who did this to this poor dog, I would be censored. I guess QsbScotsman said it well for me. Let's just hope law enforcement stands up for this animal.
  27. gogetem
    gogetem - February 03, 2012 6:31 pm
    I'm sure the authorites can find DNA on the duct-tape just as they would for any other crime! People that do this are on thier way to bigger crimes. Let's find this person before something worse happens.
  28. Fence post
    Fence post - February 03, 2012 6:27 pm
    The creep that did this is the lowest of all lowlifes - a real bellyslider
  29. butterfly12
    butterfly12 - February 03, 2012 6:26 pm
    It's very sad that someone would subject an innocent creature to such torture. What is in their soul to treat something so cruelly? I will never understand this. I'm so thankful for the positive outcome because of the thoughfulness and concern of Mr. Poncho Wade and Mr. Kenneth Filkins. Thanks so much to the 2 of you for caring enough to stop and get involved, and rescue this poor thing, and even give up your lunch to help. You were this dog's heroes.
  30. sbrhwkp3
    sbrhwkp3 - February 03, 2012 6:18 pm
    I WANT THAT DOG!
  31. scannerman
    scannerman - February 03, 2012 5:48 pm
    what in the world is wrong with people. what a monster to do this. how can u sleep at night after performing this horrific act of violence on a innocent dog. karma will catch u. u can run, but u can't hide from the los pepes.
  32. PMM2437
    PMM2437 - February 03, 2012 5:40 pm
  33. hiker49
    hiker49 - February 03, 2012 5:30 pm
    This has to be the sickest thing I have ever heard regarding animal abuse. I echo ever bodies comments hear and hope the State Police officers who find this individual or individuals are animal lovers as well as the judge and treat them accordingly!!! I believe this is one step closer to abusing children etc. What a sick person !
  34. dyzie
    dyzie - February 03, 2012 5:26 pm
    I agree with everyone on here and add my utter disgust and contempt for the "person" who would do this to an innocent animal. Whenever I hear of stories like this I cry and hold my own dog a little tighter and give her more kisses. I want to thank the Town of Argyle angels who helped out this dog and to the man who gave up his lunch to feed the dog. You guys are heroes in my book!
  35. Snow White
    Snow White - February 03, 2012 5:12 pm
    The person who did this to the dog should be located, have his/her legs and arms duct taped and then have the duct tape wrapped round his/her head........... Finally, leave this person next to the road for 24 hours with a sign saying, "don't help me. I did the same thing to my dog. Come back in a day or two and see how I am doing.". Honestly, how can humans be so unkind.....
  36. luciano
    luciano - February 03, 2012 5:05 pm
    So grateful to the wonderful people that helped this dog.. Let's hope they find the bastards who did this !!! make them pay .
  37. Resident of GF
    Resident of GF - February 03, 2012 4:59 pm
    Somebody out there knows who owned this dog. PLEASE come forward. This made me so sick to my stomach and want to cry. Anyone who would treat an animal like this should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I believe in Karma and it WILL come back to this evil being.
  38. QbyScotsman
    QbyScotsman - February 03, 2012 4:54 pm
    What the hell is wrong with people?? I hope law enforcement finds the perpetrator and make them pay to the fullest extent to of the law...or wrap them in duct tape from head to toe and leave them along the side of Coach Road and hope a passerby rescues them...or not!!
  39. Quintarra
    Quintarra - February 03, 2012 4:53 pm
    This just makes me so angry. The person who did this just had no heart. If you don't want your dog you bring it to a shelter. Makes my heart break to see this poor animal suffer the way he did. I hope he/she finds a loving home.
  40. FoundedonCountry
    FoundedonCountry - February 03, 2012 4:30 pm
    I think what I have to say about this would be flagged so I'll keep it simple. Whoever did this should pay heavily
  41. BigDaddy
    BigDaddy - February 03, 2012 4:24 pm
    Man that is disgusting, if you don't want the dog give it to the SPCA or someone who wants it and will care for it. I hope they catch the idiot who did this.
  42. tmepae
    tmepae - February 03, 2012 4:15 pm

who does this c*** to a helpless animal?just goes to show how stupid some people are.people who do things to hurt there animals should be shot.we are living in such a sick world today.seems like anything goes anymore. how i would like to turn the clock back 40 years.i hope this person is caught and punished to fullest extent of the law and beyond.

43. jshannon
    jshannon - February 03, 2012 4:10 pm
    Anyone who would do a thing like this is as bad as a rapist or child molester and should be treated accordingly !

Call to volunteer organizations

Do you run a volunteer organization in our area? We're looking to add listings to our online database of volunteer organizations. Please submit details to us using this form.