Real Estate Upickem Golf

City suspends Mr. Ding-A-Ling operator's vendor permit

2013-10-09T10:45:00Z 2013-10-09T16:37:33Z City suspends Mr. Ding-A-Ling operator's vendor permitMAURY THOMPSON -- thompson@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star
October 09, 2013 10:45 am  •

GLENS FALLS -- Glens Falls Mayor John “Jack” Diamond has temporarily suspended the vendor permit of a Mr. Ding-A-Ling ice cream truck operator because of aggressive sales tactics that created a safety hazard.

The city received three complaints this year about Panay Olsen, the operator, driving too close to pedestrians or children playing, according to a letter Diamond wrote Oct. 1 notifying Olsen of the 30-day suspension.

The suspension prohibits her from operating on city streets or at city-owned parks and playgrounds for 30 days.

On Sept. 25, at about 6:15 p.m. in Crandall Park, Olsen drove her ice cream truck onto a newly sodded area where several children were playing soccer, and continued to drive across the field toward the field house, coming within 6 yards of three children, according to the letter, which The Post-Star obtained under the state Freedom of Information Law.

“The complainant states that you appeared to be unaware of the children playing near the path of your vehicle as you continued across the field, thereby putting the health and safety of those children at risk,” Diamond wrote.

Previously, on May 27, Olson became argumentative when an event organizer at Crandall Park instructed her she was not in her assigned spot at Memorial Day activities.

“The complainant states that you became agitated, slamming your vehicle into reverse, retreating from the field at a high rate of speed in a manner that put those on the field in potential danger,” Diamond wrote.

The city also received a previous unspecified complaint, according to the letter.

Olsen attended the Glens Falls Common Council meeting on Tuesday and apologized for her behavior.

“I want to take responsibility for anything I did wrong,” she said, speaking during the public comment period.

Olsen, of Queensbury, said she has been selling ice cream for 14 years and the business is her livelihood.

On Wednesday, Olsen contacted The Post-Star and denied she threatened anyone’s safety.

She said she did drive across the grass, but she was not angry and was not driving fast, as the city claims.

She said her vehicle has multiple mirrors, and she would have seen the children if she was close to them.

“I didn’t do those angry things they are accusing me of,” she said.

She said she went to the Common Council meeting “to make peace” with city officials and would have specifically denied the charges if she had realized a reporter was covering the meeting.

Diamond said Olsen should meet with city officials to discuss the concerns and how her permit can be reinstated.

As of Wednesday, the city had issued 22 mobile food permits so far this year, but Olsen’s was the only annual permit, said City Clerk Robert Curtis.

Five permits were on a seasonal basis, and 16 on a weekly basis.

Vendors buy weekly permits in order to sell food at a specific event.

The Oct. 1 letter states that Olsen’s permit was suspended for 30 days.

“Please be aware that failure to abide by this suspension is punishable by a fine of up to $200 and/or imprisonment for a term not to exceed 90 days.” Diamond wrote.

In addition to her ice-cream truck work, Olsen delivers newspapers for The Post-Star as an independent contractor, but she is not an employee of the paper.

1. Panayota Anna
    Panayota Anna - October 15, 2013 5:45 pm
    When i decided to take the issue to the common council i spoke of not liking to be there for any issue and for any slights i may have done were misunderstandings . I sent letters ahead to the council members which I was told they never received so when i spoke they didn't know what i was actually there for except the chief of police- i handed a letter to his secretary and the mayor 's secretary also was handed the same 4 page letter- and the town clerk too- I gave the clerk's offce a sealed letter to give to the common council- Mrs Reid said it was not in her mail box -The 4 page letter clearly stated that i did not do what the two compliants i recieved said i did-I have not seen the third complaint yet..I am seeking a lawyer for council on all this..I have very limited funds till December- We will ask why- ''due process wasnt served /defamation- lost wages etc etc ??? Is everyone ready for court?
  2. scottycc31
    scottycc31 - October 15, 2013 12:23 pm
    If you did nothing wrong.........Then why would you apologize and say that you take full responsibility for anything you did wrong????

If it were I who was accused of ANYTHING and I did not do what "they" claim I did, I sure as Hell would not make any reference to any sort of an apology.....and get (whomever) a lawsuit of defemation of character!!!!
  3. ksid1981
    ksid1981 - October 14, 2013 2:44 am
    I do not know if she is the same driver that does the route in Fort Edward but that truck flies down our street , I mean you hear the music from the truck and she has flown by so fast the kids can't get out the door in time to catch her she is way out of site. Some one is going to get killed with that kind of driving.
  4. something is wrong
    something is wrong - October 12, 2013 1:44 am
    I will not let my child run down the street calling for a Mr Ding a ling
  5. ab
    ab - October 11, 2013 9:03 am
    Crandall Park is absurd. I was once threatened that because I was feeding the ducks, they would call the police.
  6. Panayota Anna
    Panayota Anna - October 10, 2013 5:47 pm
    the mayor i think was in a bind- i still respect him - as i felt dammed if you do and dammed if you dont kind of situation-
  7. Panayota Anna
    Panayota Anna - October 10, 2013 5:17 pm
    Thank you so much for coming forward and making that statement- That was exactly how i felt when i opened and read his letter to me terminating my permit for 30 days- Can anyone imagine how hurtful itis to being accused of something that is out of character for them and to be denied any real justice by a respected authority-Thank God i have strong faith and my mom always told me everything always turns out for the best in the end becasue God always wins one way or the other - Thank you mom! and thank you Jesus for giving me your strength - i shall endure for Christ's sake
  8. HEBarber
    HEBarber - October 10, 2013 4:13 pm
    Did anyone take the time to read that letter to "Pope" Diamond before he signed it? Where is the investigation into those complaints or does he just accept the word of a complainant at face value and then issue an edict? It sure is beginning to show the effect of the mayor's loosing his "brain trusts" to other entity's. This second+ term should be exciting!
  9. Panayota Anna
    Panayota Anna - October 10, 2013 10:13 am
    If you can find in your heart to think of what it would feel like if you sincerely knew you didnt behave a certain way and someone said you did behave that way and then see what you would do . I raised three good children who are adults now - One is a vet doctor- one is an engineer- salutatorian at glens falls h.h. and one is a sargeant in the u.s. army- Yes i may have a strong brooklyn accent and i cant afford fancy clothes- but i am truthful and responsible and i know who i am and i know the charcater they are saying i am is not who i am and is not what i did- i am nolonger going to come to this site to respond - i am saddened that there are so many mean - vindictive and vengeful people in my community- I wouldnt treat a dog or an enemy the way i am being treated and spoken about - i know my peace can never be taken away from me no matter how the truth is twisted- i am weeping for us all that our holy and good god will help us all see the truth and move on.
  10. lovestotravel91
    lovestotravel91 - October 10, 2013 8:50 am
    Panay, you were a school teacher? Based off of your decision to not even use correct grammar to defend yourself I'm glad you aren't one anymore. Needless to say, I have seen the aggressive driving myself as well. Just because someone is behind the wheel doesn't mean that everyone walking around will adhere to the driver and wherever she wants to go in fear of getting run over.
  11. just the facts for now
    just the facts for now - October 10, 2013 8:06 am
    I have witnessed angry and aggressive mothers, teachers, and Christians. Those three descriptions do not give you a pass on your behavior.
  12. HEBarber
    HEBarber - October 10, 2013 7:50 am
    Gees first they get an edict closing the bars early and now they're going after the ice cream vendors. Where does it stop? I can't understand why Jack and his "wizards" up there at city hall are resorting to these gestapo tactics! What comes next? leashes for cats?
  13. pfenton
    pfenton - October 10, 2013 7:36 am
    When I read this article, I couldn't help thinking back to when I was a child and my father had convinced me that when I heard the music coming from the ice cream truck, it meant that all the ice cream was gone! I was a fat kid and I guess Dad was just trying to keep my weight down, but it had a lasting effect on me and it has only been recently that I realized he wasn't being truthful!
  14. Tbone1974
    Tbone1974 - October 09, 2013 9:43 pm
    I am glad she is suspended by the city; she should get a speeding ticket or 3 also and she is rude too....I live near a playground and she goes by my house doing way faster than what she should be doing, if I wanted an ice cream when I hear the music, I don't even have time to get out of my chair and she is by the house already. I use to see her at the store I ran and always told her she needed to slow down and she would look at me with 3 heads like I was crazy....I am glad the city did something.....
  15. Artmajorprobs5
    Artmajorprobs5 - October 09, 2013 8:15 pm
    It's about time they finally did something!!! I have witnessed her several times being unsafe. Hopefully the owner of Mr. Ding A Ling takes the truck away permanently before something serious happens.
  16. Sgfmom3
    Sgfmom3 - October 09, 2013 7:57 pm
    I have witnessed your incredible disregard for the safety of children and families you service! Once pulling behind another competing vendor blasting your horn (while other means of egress were available to you) yelling at a parent to tell the vendor to move so you could get by.....an action which would put children and parents in danger, why? Because you weren't getting the business! A parent thankfully put you in your place requesting you wait while their child safely got their snack.
    Questioning, almost interrogating children on a competitor. It's about time something is done!!
  17. Panayota Anna
    Panayota Anna - October 09, 2013 4:45 pm
    I am a mobile vendor in Warren county for over 14 years- This year it seems there were several complaints about my behavior and actions. This was brought to my attention on October 1st via a letter from our mayors office at 8 p.m.at my door with mentions of a 30 day suspension-I composed a letter to our Mayor and sent 4 copies for several town officials-I explained in the letter that when i enter - drive or exit my truck my first thought and actions are always the safety of all community members .No one ever confronted me about my driving at the soccer field for the 10-12 years i have been vending there and parents came for business this soccer season up to the day i was suspened. At last nights meeting I was not defensive when i spoke but said that i was sorry that i had to be there for any issue and i didnt want to be a burden to anyone and i want to do what is right.My letter also says that i did not drive angry or endanger anyone-I am a mother- retired teacher- christian-
  18. chippr63
    chippr63 - October 09, 2013 4:43 pm
    Well safety is an important thing, but why is the mayor acting as a code enforcement officer?
  19. wheresthesavings
    wheresthesavings - October 09, 2013 3:37 pm
    I have been a "victim" of aggressive sales tactics by ice cream "pushers" my whole life....;)
  20. rudwung
    rudwung - October 09, 2013 3:16 pm
    Aggressive behavior and ice cream trucks = creamed (potentially) kiddies. Perhaps the driver will learn from this experience and drive responsibly. This story is barely newsworthy.
  21. prchslyr
    prchslyr - October 09, 2013 2:10 pm
    What is the point of this suspension? Her ice cream truck is probably put away for the season anyway. If they want to get a handle on how many of the Dingaling drivers around the state carry themselves. Suspend them for the month of May. There definitely seems to be a trend with many of their drivers.
  22. QsbyLogic