Shining Stars Mobile Apps

Man shoots woman, then kills himself in Lake George

2011-07-09T14:39:00Z 2012-08-06T17:37:40Z Man shoots woman, then kills himself in Lake GeorgeBy DAVID TAUBE--dtaube@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star

LAKE GEORGE -- Saturday morning in a quiet neighborhood just outside the village, a man shot his ex-wife with a shotgun, police said.

Behind the picket fence but outside the house at 3 Elizabeth St., the man, Douglas D. Cunningham, 52, also shot himself in the head, police said. He was found dead in his driveway.

The woman, Kathleen M. Brados, 47, was found in the yard with a gunshot wound to her lower back, police said. She was taken to Glens Falls Hospital, where she died.

Warren County Sheriff Nathan "Bud" York said three shots were fired with a shotgun, and police believe one shot went astray.

Neighbors heard gunshots at about 7:30 a.m., police reported at a press conference Saturday afternoon. York said the couple had been divorced within the last month.

"Anytime you have something like this, it's very tragic," he said.

York said Brados had at least one child, a daughter who is 12 or 13, but said he believes Cunningham was not the child's father.

The couple had no children together, but Cunningham had an adult son, neighbor Marian Morey said.

"Kathleen was such a sweet person," Morey said.

Morey recalled how, in the past, Brados and her daughter would come over to her Thomson Avenue house to babysit her pug, and they didn't want to take any money for the few hours of care.

Brados' daughter is currently living with her father out west, Morey said.

The couple could have been having financial troubles, Morey suggested.

A few years ago, Cunningham asked her for money to help pay an electric bill, Morey said, and she wrote him a check because she couldn't imagine the family without electricity during Christmas time.

He had also once asked her and another neighbor for $1,400 to pay his mortgage, Morey said.

The county sheriff's office was previously at the residence for a minor dispute over property in 2003, police said.

State Police had also at one time issued an order of protection for Brados' daughter against Cunningham, York said.

In the last six months, neighbors saw sheriff's patrol cars at the house, Morey said, but York said there was no record in his archives of police visits to the house.

Despite the divorce, York said, police believe Brados and Cunningham were both still living at the address.

But Kit Moon, another neighbor, said Brados had moved out of the house in recent weeks and had been in the process of moving out her belongings.

"I was her best friend," Moon said. "She called me Mom. I always told her if I ever had a daughter I'd want her just like her."

When asked why she thought Cunningham killed Brados, Moon mentioned the divorce.

"He didn't want one, and she did," she said. "He was abusive toward her, mostly verbal. She was getting scared of him."

Moon said she noticed the police had been to the couple's house "two or three times in the last two or three years," but she said Cunningham could be thoughtful.

"Doug was always nice to me, very nice. Doug has taken care of my yard, my snowplowing, everything for me, taken my garbage every week.

"If he was all bad, he would have been bad towards me," she said.

She said she and Brados were planning on taking a trip together, after Brados got "everything straightened around."

"I knew her better than anybody," she said. "She even stayed over here a night or two. She felt safe over here, I guess. She was the type of person who just lit up a room, she was so beautiful."

Will Doolittle contributed to this report.

1. concernedinlg
    concernedinlg - July 12, 2011 10:36 am
    While the events in LG are tragic and senseless, one must also realize that with all the posts of Domestic Violence, no one has mentioned nor expounded upon the use by individuals
    (both men and women) to try and exploit the divorce/custody process by claiming FALSE domestic violence issues when NONE exist to try and gain an upper hand in proceedings, what are the stats on the FALSE reporting of Domestic Violence? How may individuals who file false complaints are charged? How many individuals who are charged are vindicated by the justice system???? I think that fundemental fairness runs both ways, so both side of the coin should be discussed? Again, the events in LG are horribe and senseless. Truly sad. Yet an opposing view needed to be made.
  2. bp2424
    bp2424 - July 12, 2011 7:04 am
    ADKFemale...My thoughts and prayers are with you. I KNOW what you are going through and hope that you can find the courage and strength to get through this and that you have the support (and protection) of family/friends. Document everything you can and have it backed up by those you trust. There could very well come a time when you will need that information to defend yourself or your children.
  3. bp2424
    bp2424 - July 12, 2011 7:00 am
    This article screams 'domestic violence'....My heart goes out to the victim (s) in this case, unfortunately it happens all too often with tragic consequences for families and communities. Although I am a gun owner myself, I am also a former victim of domestic abuse, and can understand both sides of the gun issue. Some of the most terrifying moments of my life involved having a loaded pistol held to my head. Our society ignores many of the symptoms of domestic violence and our court systems issue inadequate measures to protect the victims. Many people still ask "Why doesn't she leave"...not realizing that this is sometimes the result and every woman (or man) who is being abused knows it. They are caught in an often impossible situation...it's dangerous whether they stay or go because too often the person they are 'dealing' with is unpredictable and mentally unbalanced. Family members, neighbors, and friends need to know the signs and know where to go to get help.
  4. OldGuy
    OldGuy - July 11, 2011 10:39 pm
    I am amazed how some people refuse to face reality and try to twist news stories like this into something for their own gain. I am talking about the "trolls" who provoked the off topic comments with the statements that its just "another reason to outlaw guns".

I am reluctant to waste people's time talking about guns when the story obviously was about human relationships and suicide. Fortunately, The Post Star ran follow up stories on this tragedy that have NOT had their comment treads disrupted, YET, so people can still talk about the REAL problems there.

I thank the majority here for their common sense comments, but want to point out that the few that provoked you did so with an absurdity that they already know is impossible. I have been faced with their kind of anti-gun arguments for over 50 years, and now that they are losing, they are just trying to torment you for their own "jollies". Hence, "beware of the trolls"; they are just trying to get a rise out of you.
  5. Cricket
    Cricket - July 11, 2011 5:39 pm
    Sad story. Truth be known, someone who wants to do bodily harm to another will always find a way.
  6. Mike C
    Mike C - July 11, 2011 11:56 am
    newshound said: "another reason to outlaw guns...maybe he would have hit her a few times...but she had no chance against a shotgun. only cops should have guns."

I agree completely. I don't think the 2nd Amendment is being interpreted correctly, and we should either amend it to be narrower, or wipe it out altogether (we've done it before!). Just look at Japan--one of the strictest gun control programs in the world, and one of the lowest crime rates. There have been countless studies showing the direct correlation between the amount of gun control and crime rates.
  7. johndoeny
    johndoeny - July 11, 2011 11:10 am
    This sad situation is nothing more than a person taking the COWARDS way out, PERIOD !!!!!

My thoughts go out to the remaining families.
  8. bb in lg
    bb in lg - July 11, 2011 10:47 am
    I believe 100% in gun control. The second amendment does NOT guarentee the right to gun ownership...it only does if you ignore the first sentence of the amendment.

Gun owners always compare guns to cars and I agree...I believe guns should be treated the same as cars. You should need to take a test before given a license to prove you know how to operate the gun. The gun should be registered and the registration should have to be renewed every year, or two years. Just like cars. Many disagree with me...good for you, god bless America.

That said...no amount of gun control possible in American would ever have prevented this crime! This debate is pointless. This was a hunting rifle, and hunting rifles will never be banned in the US...NOR SHOULD THEY BE.

This guy would have killed his wife no matter what. The gun just made it easier...and it enabled him to rid the Earth of himself...so there's that. The real debate here should be about domestic abuse. Let's hope it starts soon.
  9. Itisjustme
    Itisjustme - July 11, 2011 10:37 am
    How sad is this....an innocent woman loses her life and all you have on here are a bunch of radicals turning it into a politcal agenda.......... save it for an editorial for petes sake!!!
  10. acidtearz
    acidtearz - July 11, 2011 10:04 am
    You dont need deadbolts and all that stuff 90% of all domestic related incidents happens because they want out of the relationship and its the person behind the gun doin so you need a finger to pull the trigger. my mother was shot and my dad killed himself afterwards thinking she was dead she was lucky he thought she was. She is doing good now still active in domestic violence seminars and stuff so its very sad to see something like this.

11. scooter
    scooter - July 11, 2011 9:02 am
    Abacab said: "Yes...we must outlaw guns, we can't have people shooting all those nice fine Chinese army men when they come to round you up to pay your countries debt."

The amazing thing is that there are loons amongst us who think this might actually happen - and they think their little rifle sitting in the gun rack of their pickup truck will actually be effective for the task. Silly.
  12. retired
    retired - July 11, 2011 7:20 am
    I have had guns for over fifty years, and none of them have ever threatened or shot anyone. Maybe we should outlaw people who are out of control. It is the person who kills, it is not the weapon. Like many other sensible readers, I feel that the guns are and should remain our constitutional right. I also feel that anyone who commits a felony, or is found to be insane, should be barred from having guns, and if found using one in an illegal manner, the penalty should be doubled to that of the average person.
  13. ZENCI2
    ZENCI2 - July 11, 2011 12:03 am
    newshound said: "only cops should have guns. "

You sound a bit like a Nazi supporter here, Newshound. I have a very strong suspicion that the reason for that 2nd Amendment is so that sort of thing never happens in this country. I will work til my dying breath to keep that Constitutional right in practice for all of us.
  14. ZENCI2
    ZENCI2 - July 10, 2011 11:53 pm
    5756917 said: "@Owens........I would like to see if you can make it more than 3 paces into my home. Give it a try. Let us know how you make out. "

I dare anyone to try that in my home! I have a cute little, quite legal, .22 semi-auto pistol that would make a rather deep dent in their cranium.
  15. ZENCI2
    ZENCI2 - July 10, 2011 11:49 pm
    (edited)Adkfemale said: "In the meantime, his behavior gets more bizarre by the day! So to say that I'm being held hostage in a house where he cut the cable company's TV cable, as well disconnected the Internet service, disabled the thermostat is an understatement. Oh...and have I mentioned that he dismantled the bed and completely removed the mattress? Just hoping he doesn't comPLETELY lose it or I'm in trouble. "

ADK, you are so correct in your assessment of your husband's behaviour. I heartily recommend you have deadbolts and an alarm system installed in your new home. He is not going to give up easily, just as the man in this article didn't. Do not depend on any court orders; his kind pays no attention to that gar-bahj'. How do I know so much about this? I was married to one many yrs ago, had to move to FL to be remotely safe. He is now my LATE ex-husband, and he died just as angry with me as he was the day I left back in 1968! Go, don't look back!
  16. Jonny
    Jonny - July 10, 2011 10:01 pm
    Owens said: " The statistics show they are much more likely to be used against you than you defending yourself with it."

Show me the statistics on this, from a REPUTABLE organization. Not from an organization that calls 20 year old gang bangers "children that were killed with handguns". Yes, the same organizations that regurgitate the propaganda that you are quoting, consider a 20 year old gangbanger killed in a gang, "a child" and count that as statistically relevant.
  17. Owens
    Owens - July 10, 2011 9:03 pm
    Like I said I have no problem with people law abiding people owning guns but I think it is a myth that people need them to protect their homes. The statistics show they are much more likely to be used against you than you defending yourself with it. Scottler I guess my point is that it is very easy to find local stories where legally owned guns were used criminally in this area and next to impossible to find where they were used to protect yourself and family.
  18. privatesector
    privatesector - July 10, 2011 7:38 pm
    chiefrider....please don't yell, I am one of the good guys! I just happen to come from a place where this was always in effect, even prior to the Brady Laws. I had never known of someone being turned down for a permit to purchase for the use of hunting/self protection/collecting etc. as long as they were not a violent convicted felon. Those guys, by the way, were not applying for a permit, they had their own means of ownership.
    It's all I've ever known. I have just never personally had a problem with the permit to purchase.
  19. Adkfemale
    Adkfemale - July 10, 2011 6:46 pm
    Easy for people to say females need to protect themselves if they question their spouse's mental stability and to move out. I bought a house 3 1/2 months ago and can't move into it yet, until he signs a separation agreement, due to the fact that if I want even shared custody, I'd be charged with abandonment if I left. In the meantime, his behavior gets more bizarre by the day and there's nothing I can do until our court day, which, thankfully, is Tuesday!! So to say that I'm being held hostage in a house where he cut the cable company's TV cable, as well disconnected the Internet service, disabled the thermostat (when it was necessary in March & April) is an understatement. Needless to say, I'm between a rock and a hard place - can't WAIT for Tuesday. I'm crossing my fingers that the Judge lets me out w/out holding it against me!! Oh...and have I mentioned that he dismantled the bed and completely removed the mattress? Just hoping he doesn't comPLETELY lose it or I'm in trouble.
  20. 5756917
    5756917 - July 10, 2011 4:35 pm
  21. always thinking
    always thinking - July 10, 2011 3:00 pm
    Owens-That's just because the crime rate isn't that high yet. Just wait awhile till the economy gets worse.
  22. Scottler
    Scottler - July 10, 2011 2:35 pm
    @Owens-

Your request is ridiculous. You've got WAY too many "qualifications". HAS to be a local story. HAS to be within five years. HAS to be this, HAS to be that.

But I'll make a deal with you. You show me one story out of Washington County in which a left handed perpetrator was shot by a left handed gunman (who happens to be a Gemini), and I'll give you the REAL statistics on castle laws.
  23. Jonny
    Jonny - July 10, 2011 12:59 pm
    This is not a valid argument to outlaw guns. He could do the same with a knife or baseball bat. Cars kill far more people and children due to DWI.
    When I completely trust my government, they still can't have my guns.

This is likely the result of our society collapsing more than anything to do with gun control. He used a common hunting shotgun, not a handgun, not a so-called "assault weapon".
    When guns are outlawed, the outlaws will still have weapons, and know YOU Are defenseless.
  24. cheifrider
    cheifrider - July 10, 2011 12:07 pm
    privatesector said: "This is a tragic and horrible event, and my synpathy goes out to all of those involved. However, outlawing guns will not stop domestic violence. Guns are a constitutional right, and the majority of crimes are commited by those that obtain guns illeagally. I am in favor of the Brady laws that require a waiting periods and background checks.May they both rest in peace and their families find comfort and strength in through their family and friends."
    sooo....you believe the 2nd amendment is a good thing?i do to!however, it seems you are willing to sacrifice a portion of that amendment by being all warm and snuuuuuggly with the fact that waiting periods and backround checks are a good thin.It says "the right to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"!!!!!!!!!SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!!!!!WHAT PART OF THAT IS HARD TO COMPREHEND ?
  25. Owens
    Owens - July 10, 2011 10:47 am
    All of you saying we need guns to defend ourselves from criminals please show me one local story in the last 5 years where someone used a gun in their homes to fend off criminals? Right away I can think of one story where a child was killed with a legally owned handgun and now this story. I can't believe none of you have mentioned yet that if the victim had armed herself this may not have happened.

I have no problem with people owning guns but the stats don't support the argument for personal defense. Your gun is more likely to be used against you, for a crime or a suicide than to fend off home invaders or other such violent criminals.
  26. Smith29-2
    Smith29-2 - July 10, 2011 9:03 am
    I see it didn't take too long to get in a shot at guns and gun ownership. So newshound, all of those people, some 60 million if not more gun owners out there, what have we been doing wrong? Apparently we are all criminals? No? Well, your argument holds water about as well as a paper hat. Only cops having guns? Are you truly insane or is your idealogy that twisted that facts escape you? Worst crime areas, say it with me folks, the cities. Strictest gun laws? Say it again, the cities. Look at Chicago, we you can't even own a handgun without tons of paperwork and money, there has been story after story of roving street gangs terrorizing neighborhoods. Washington DC, highest murder numbers for years, it took a recent Supreme Court decision to allow citizens in out nations capital to be able to legally own handguns. This was tragic, but this was one no one saw coming. So if you ask why I carry a gun. It's because a cop is too heavy.
  27. MissyCee
    MissyCee - July 10, 2011 8:37 am
    This is very tragic but I agree that guns are NOT the problem. If he hadn't used a gun he would have used something else, perhaps a knife. We don't outlaw knives and yet there have been uncountable murders where a knife was used. And seriously, how does this murder have anything in the world to do with Bush? If your going to contribute, at least it should be relevant! This situation has nothing at all to do with politics, if you want to rant about Bush go comment on another article.
  28. Rick59
    Rick59 - July 10, 2011 6:49 am
    When guns are outlawed......Only outlaws will have guns. I would prfer to defend myself because when seconds count , the cops will be minutes away!
  29. 30yearreader
    30yearreader - July 10, 2011 6:04 am
    Yeah, Newshound...only people who should have guns are cops...and criminals....
    And only people with medical need should have drugs...outlawing something does not make it go away
  30. privatesector
    privatesector - July 10, 2011 5:44 am

31. Rick59
    Rick59 - July 10, 2011 5:27 am
    "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson
  32. Abacab
    Abacab - July 10, 2011 1:51 am
  33. OldGuy
    OldGuy - July 10, 2011 1:46 am
    NewsHound - At the risk of feeding the trolls, there is absolutely nothing in this story or any other excuse left in America that you can use to try and outlaw guns anymore, period. Your time for distractions, parlor tricks, and dreams of a utopian world are over.

Instead, we need to concentrate on how we, as good citizens, can get the "casual gun owners" to come out of their shells and start learning how to use their guns correctly. It is in the publics best interest that we turn our attention to adult education in firearms training on well maintained public firing ranges. I'm not talking police training or soldier's warfare. --- I'm talking about the physical, mental, and ethical aspects of being an armed private citizen in the public trust, who knows how to handle a gun very well and can hit what ever needs to be shot.

Otherwise, keep them locked up until you know what you're doing with them ! That's what real gun control is all about.
  34. Anubis86
    Anubis86 - July 10, 2011 12:40 am
    Always thinking- I completely agree with you!

Banning guns won't stop people from finding ways to get them, just like drugs and many other things. Look what happend during the Prohibition, people still found ways of getting alcohol and crime rate was high. My thoughts go out to all involved in this horribly tragic situation.
  35. freehahahafree
    freehahahafree - July 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Are you absolutely insane? Only cops should have guns is one of the most ridiculous statements i have ever read on this board. Perhaps you did not think it completely through? Maybe an irrational reaction due to the tragic nature of the story? Or maybe you are a cop...just looking to make your job a bit safer? But if none of these options are true than I am sincerely worried. How many other basic freedoms are you willing to simply hand over to the government? Because they will gladly take them from you....no questions asked. They would love to have a nation of people just like you to lead around by the nose.
  36. Scottler
    Scottler - July 09, 2011 11:08 pm
    @Newshound - What about knives? Those are legal. In fact, I have scores of them in my kitchen right now. Let's pretend they're illegal too though. Then I can go in the garage and get a screwdriver. Oh wait, you banned those too, didn't you? Okay, so I head on down to my local sporting goods store, and pick up a nice aluminum bat. Have you already banned those? Then I guess the only thing left for the bad guys to do is beat someone to death with their bare hands, or maybe shake them.

Then again, just because something is illegal, it doesn't disappear.

LEGAL guns in the hands of RESPONSIBLE gun owners aren't the problem. It's when someone with malicious intent gets their hands on a weapon...THAT is the problem.

But hey, keep your head in the sand. It's no skin off my nose.
  37. 5756917
    5756917 - July 09, 2011 8:11 pm
    @newshound......Try reading the Constitution! The Second amendment in particular. Drugs are illegal.......yet there are PLENTY of those around.
  38. always thinking
    always thinking - July 09, 2011 7:52 pm
    newshound-A hammer would have worked as well as a shotgun, do you want them outlawed too? The problem is not the gun, it's the people.
  39. sasquatch
    sasquatch - July 09, 2011 7:33 pm
    The thoughts and prayers are nice, and predictable, the usual lingo, but they'll do nothing to eliminate the guns. It's the "George is My President" type of thing. "George will never take away my guns". George W. Bush doesn't work for us anymore, but we still have the guns. And we still have the thousands of soldiers, from the Bush Wars, returning to find themselves without jobs. And divorced. George W. Bush, and his wars, and his guns, and his national debt, all of that is the worst disaster ever to recently to the USA. We
  40. newshound
    newshound - July 09, 2011 4:55 pm
  41. exemsbecauseofyou
    exemsbecauseofyou - July 09, 2011 4:37 pm
    heard this call go out this morning and my heart dropped. next to a critical child in the back this is the worst. this stayed with me all day. God bless all involved from ems, fire to police and of course family and friends!
  42. Displaced_Southerner
    Displaced_Southerner - July 09, 2011 4:29 pm
    This is a really sad story. My thoughts and prayers are with both families. How tragic that someone could get this upset and decide the outcome of another human life. I have never been through a divorce and hope I never do. My one thought is that I hope that there are not children involved.