Real Estate Pet Star

Police seek information on duct-taped dog in Saratoga County

2009-11-12T09:50:00Z Police seek information on duct-taped dog in Saratoga CountyBy DREW KERR dkerr@poststar.com Glens Falls Post-Star
November 12, 2009 9:50 am  •

PROVIDENCE -- Ed Dandaraw has owned beagles all his life.

So when the Providence man spotted a pair of brown legs protruding from a black garbage bag while hunting on his rural property off Drager Road on Sunday, he knew immediately that there were two more hidden out of sight.

What he was not prepared for, however, was the way the animal would appear once it was relieved of its plastic trappings.

Duct tape, Dandaraw discovered, bound the dog from head to foot.

Timid, the 4-year-old animal, was listless, a skeletal incarnation of its former 40-pound self - a scene that led Dandaraw to assume the dog was dead, "decomposing under all of that tape."

Despite the grim prognosis, Dandaraw scooped the beagle up. He learned there was some life left in the animal after all.

"I picked it up and she just let out a blood-curdling scream," Dandaraw said from his home on Thursday. "She was probably just terrified."

Dandaraw placed the dog on the back of his four-wheeler, ushered it out of the woods and immediately called a veterinarian to help remove the tape and begin nursing it back to health.

The beagle wouldn't have lasted another day, Dandaraw predicted, and was probably only able to survive as long as it did because of a small opening that had been left in the duct tape near its nose - a detail that still leaves him wrestling with emotion.

"What's scary is that they intentionally left the nostrils untaped so she would suffer," Dandaraw said. "It really sickened me to my stomach."

Using a microchip implanted in the dog's skin, police have now been able to determine it belonged to a family living just miles from where it was found.

The family had been looking for it for weeks, Saratoga County Sheriff's investigator Rick Capasso said, and are now assisting in the investigation and in posting a reward for any information leading to an arrest.

Capasso said it remains unclear how the dog, Daisy, could have found itself in such a precarious situation, but that it had been known to wander, one time turning up as far from home as the Wilton Mall.

"This dog was a real wanderer," he said.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Sheriff's Office at 885-6761.

1. upsnyf
    upsnyf - November 30, 2009 11:45 pm
    Hmmm, Wow! Neither children or animals can speak for themselves. They are the innocent. I have met lots of people, including children, that I like less than any animal that I know. I simply want animals to have the same protection as any other live being, with feeling and nerves that also feel pain.
    Incrediblyinformed=Incredibly egotistical. Your thoughts are simply an opinion, just like the rest of us. Your name is unbelieveably egotistical. I would be embarassed! ICK!
  2. lilac25
    lilac25 - November 13, 2009 1:18 pm
    Why was the dog allowed to wander everywhere? I would never let any of mine wander especially during hunting season. I now question the "responsible" owners. If they really cared about Daisy's well-being she never would have been allowed to wander and end up as she did. While the culprits are the true criminals, the owners are culpable for their own lack of responsibility.
  3. AnnJ
    AnnJ - November 13, 2009 12:58 pm
    Incrediblywellinformed:

I guess we are on the same wavelength now. I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say, and you see why I am so passionate. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
  4. realADKr
    realADKr - November 13, 2009 12:24 pm
    FYI the owners of Daisy DID report her missing, DID place lost ads in the Post Star, DID place several ads w/photos on Craigslist, DID put lost posters thru-out the area villages.
    For the last two weeks or more Daisy's family were desperately searching for her. The bottom line is that the person that did this SICK act to poor Daisy must be caught and be punished to the extent of the law before he/she decides to hit again on some poor helpless dog or cat.
  5. incrediblywellinformed
    incrediblywellinformed - November 13, 2009 10:33 am
    Matt,
    It's simply an observation made in an open forum and you really put a long tail on that kite. Yeah, Colbi really had his mom looking out for him. The dog supposedly had an owner watching out for them. How did this happen? Was the dog reported as lost, prior to this incident? The dog had been missing for weeks, prior to the finding? Did they place a missing dog ad? How did it get lost/nabbed? Clearly not a responsible pet owner.

Funny, the one person here who raises the stark contrast in the outpouring in emotion, and I get hassled. Guess no one likes their absurdity spotlighted.

toast raises some good points as well.
  6. incrediblywellinformed
    incrediblywellinformed - November 13, 2009 10:22 am
    AnnJ,
    OK, now I see why you are so enraged. I was saying that it messed up at what happened to the dog, it really is.

You became reflexively irate as if I don't care. OK, it makes sense now. As far as people caring about animals, I agree with them, whole heartedly. Yet, I find it curious that people seem to react more strongly to incidents like this than tragic incidents that happen to the two legged population. I liken it to a PETA person who would jump over a homeless person to spit on or vandalize a person's fur coat.

Have your cause and keep loving animals. I love them to, I just don't don't understand the wave of emotions that seem to come easier and more often to animal abuse, than child abuse or any violent crime that happens to an unwitting victim.
  7. tumbleweed21
    tumbleweed21 - November 13, 2009 9:57 am
    I can't believe that some of you people could be so cruel. These owners are in agony. If you saw their posting in lost and found on Craig's List and the sweet pictures they posted, you would know that they didn't do this themselves. Why would they bother posting. Leave them alone for God's sake. The person that DID do this needs to be found because most likely he will strike again. Give me 20 minutes alone with him. We have lots of coyotes around here.
  8. AnnJ
    AnnJ - November 13, 2009 9:31 am
    Well totally well informed, you sure told me, NOT!
    Maybe there are people out there who get riled up over animal abuse, and I am one of them. Doesn't make it messed up like you pointed out. Like I said in my previous post, people have their own causes. Doesn't make someone "messed up" because they get riled up over this stuff. Everyone is on a child's side. The animals need a voice, and people like you aren't going to make me feel ashamed to do it. So, FAIL right back at ya!
  9. toast
    toast - November 12, 2009 8:56 pm
    Oh, people, letting their emotions get in the way...there's a high likelihood that the owners actually did this, and if not, well what kind of bad dog owner LETS their dogs wander all over the place?! Dogs are domesticated, not wild, they should not be allowed to wander and kill wildlife. You let your pets wander and you deserve what you get, which often turns into roadkill. Those dogs should not be returned to the owners for neglect even if not found to be the ones who did this.
  10. incrediblywellinformed
    incrediblywellinformed - November 12, 2009 6:48 pm
    AnnJ,
    Ignorant how? This is an open forum and pointing out what you agree is a good point is now "ignorant". Ignorance is probably not the word you meant to use.

My comments were an observation on how people seem to get more incensed by animal cruelty over things like the Alicia Lewie case or the Breault murder.

Please spare me the lecture. That was definitely a lecture FAIL :-).
  11. flutter
    flutter - November 12, 2009 5:02 pm
    OMG!!!!!!!! THEY NEED TO BE HUNG,, I HOPE THEY FIND WHO EVER DID THIS,, THIS IS SO SAD!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD FOR ED, YOU ARE MY HERO OF THE DAY AND I'M REAL SURE YOU ARE DAISY'S HERO FOREVER!!!!!!!!
  12. scannerman
    scannerman - November 12, 2009 4:36 pm
    I AM TOTALLY OUTRAGED ABOUT THIS POOR BEAGLE. i have 3 dogs and my beagle is the smallest. when they catch this person soon i hope, i have a surprise for them.
    what a coward and piece of trash. my wife and i want to know where daisey is so we can donate doggie treats and toys. as for the hunter that found her? i want to thank you so much. godbless you both.
  13. AnnJ
    AnnJ - November 12, 2009 3:32 pm
    I was waiting for someone to come out with a comment about people not being outraged when it is a child. Thank you incrediblywellinformed (but ignorant) for not letting me down. Everyone has a cause, the people that post here are supporting their cause, which happens to be what the article is about. The comments are regarding animal abuse. If you are looking for comments about child abuse, read the comments pertaining to a child abuse article. There is a time and place for everthing, and this IS about a dog.
  14. upsnyf
    upsnyf - November 12, 2009 3:03 pm
    How long had the owners of this dog been missing her? How do we know that they might not be responsible. I don't say this to cause any more pain. It is just known that owners themseves have harmed their own animals. I just hope that they were checked out before the dog was returned. I cannot believe that anyone could do this. Can you imagine how the pup probably struggled while being taped up? The individual that did this is amazing sick. Hope that the pup is recovering with lots of love.
  15. lilac25
    lilac25 - November 12, 2009 1:36 pm
    Every day my heart breaks as I witness the cruelty and inhumanity of humans whatever it's against. Ed is my hero for today!
  16. realADKr
    realADKr - November 12, 2009 1:28 pm
    The person who did this to POOR little Daisy should be caught, Duct-taped to a tree in the middle of no-where and let the coyotes do the rest!
    God Bless you Ed Dandaraw for being in the right place at the right time. Daisy will never forget you for saving her.
    I'm also sure Daisy will NEVER FORGET the PSYCHO that did this to her. I hope they could lift some fingerprints from the duct tape so they can FRY this PSYCHO!
  17. Cricket
    Cricket - November 12, 2009 1:19 pm
    Beyond words.
    Of course, the beast of a human being will get nothing but a slap on the wrist.
    Imagine how he treats his fellow human beings.
  18. Matt the King
    Matt the King - November 12, 2009 1:15 pm
    People (like incrediblywellinformed) always say stuff like "I don't see people this outraged when it's a child" and other garbage when animal cruelty stories create such an outpouring of sympathy and disgust. The difference is, well first of all, that's not true, people are outraged when things happent to children (as they should be), let's face it; but anyway, many times with animals, it's their very owners, the ones who are supposed to protect them that inflict them with harm, so in a sense, the pet has no one else looking out for them, and that's a sad state of affairs. I'm not implying that's the case with this story (that it was the owners), but often, it is. With children, they have their entire families to support them and help them, and usually animals have no one and nothing without the kindness of strangers. If this dog wasn't outfitted with a chip or whatever, the owners may have never been found, and all that this poor dog would have had, moving forward, would be provided by the guy who found him or some kind person who adopted him and cared for him. I know I'm rambling, but these people who try to make it like no one cares about kids, while everyong is outraged at something happening to a dog really annoy me.
  19. citydweller
    citydweller - November 12, 2009 1:08 pm
    In general I sympathise with incrediblywellinformed's posting, however, it has been well documented that many of the most notorius serial killers like J Dahmer and Ted Bundy started out by torturing animals when they were young. This case seems like a particularly cruel act. I hope they find who did it and that the person gets properly punished and the right kind of help before they move on to worse things.
  20. scooter
    scooter - November 12, 2009 1:00 pm
    I am a very peaceful and even tempered person. But if I were to come across the person who did this or if I caught someone in a similar act my peaceful nature would go right out the window.

This is an unfathomable act. I hope the little guy is going to be okay. I can't imagine the terror this poor defenseless animal must have felt.

As much as I'd like to see vigilante justice in this case, lets hope this person is caught, and lets hope the justice system severely punishes them. Too often we see cases like this result in nothing more than a slap on the hand.
  21. Thumper1943
    Thumper1943 - November 12, 2009 12:21 pm
    How terrible. Can you imagine having to take that duct tape off that little dog? I hope they catch who did this, and do something about it.
  22. citizen312
    citizen312 - November 12, 2009 12:15 pm
    Disgusting. It pains me whenever I hear of these things, to think that humans can be so cruel without regard. Poor little dog.
  23. NY Girl
    NY Girl - November 12, 2009 12:14 pm
    It is a shame that the punishments for animal cruelty crimes are not more severe. How can someone let another living creature suffer? If they can do this to a helpless dog, who knows what else they would be capable of. I hope they catch the person and plaster the name in the paper so everyone knows what kind of demented sick person they are.
  24. smain
    smain - November 12, 2009 11:53 am
    Thank goodness Ed Dandaraw came along just in time. Whoever did this is a psychopath and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Don't forget other who started with torturing animals - Jeffrey Dahmer is just one example.
  25. incrediblywellinformed
    incrediblywellinformed - November 12, 2009 11:50 am
    Wow! This is messed up!!!

I don't remember seeing this outrage for the story, "Man faces felony for allegedly injuring infant", yesterday.
  26. summerLGlocal
    summerLGlocal - November 12, 2009 11:42 am
    Thank god this man found the dog in time to save it. How horribly cruel for someone to do this to an innocent creature. I hope they find out who did it and punish them for animal cruelty. If they can do this to a family pet, imagine what else they are capable of.
  27. AnnJ
    AnnJ - November 12, 2009 11:06 am
    What a disgusting act of cruelty. What is the matter with people? Thank God the poor little thing will live. I hope they find who ever did this and they pay!
  28. dogman
    dogman - November 12, 2009 10:56 am
    how dare someone can do this to a helpless animal! hopefully people won't sit back and let this case go. sounds to me like someone had a personal problem with the owners of the dog. this was their way to get to the owners. if they start doing this to animals...next is human. authorities need to find this sicko and charges should be enforced to the full extent! daisy i'm sorry you had to go through this unnecesary treatment. hopefully this person has the same thing done to them!
  29. adkpugmom
    adkpugmom - November 12, 2009 10:47 am
    I dont even know the words to express my strong feelings about this. How can anyone be so cruel? I hope they find the person who did this and at the least post his/her name so if the law doesnt give a dam the people will and make sure there is payback for this crime !