Warren County Memories book 20 Under 40

Police: Fort Edward woman threatened to blow up offices

2012-09-26T10:14:00Z Police: Fort Edward woman threatened to blow up offices Glens Falls Post-Star
September 26, 2012 10:14 am

FORT EDWARD -- A Fort Edward woman faces a pair of felony charges after allegedly threatening to blow up the Washington County Department of Social Services, police said.

Lynn M. Skelton, 26, of McCrea Street, was arrested Monday after calling a state welfare support line and threatening to bomb the county department because she was having issues with support, Washington County Sheriff Jeff Murphy said.

Skelton was charged with first-degree falsely reporting an incident and first-degree making a terroristic threat, both felonies.

She was arraigned in Fort Edward Town Court and released to return at a later date.

1. local433girl
    local433girl - October 04, 2012 1:01 pm
    What would life be like if people made, say, half the bad decisions they currently make? Just reduce the bad decisions by half -- decisions to leave a kid with a scary boyfriend, to get pregnant when not in a committed relationship, to drive drunk, to hit or threaten someone. Or if people made twice as many good decisions -- decisions to call a cab, to pay their child support, etc. Well, we'd have to find jobs for probably half of the law enforcement, criminal justice and social services systems, to start with. Then, the rest of us who pay for the systems would have to figure out how to spend our money because we'd have more of it in our pocket. Before you trash me, I know some problems are impossible to foresee and avoid. But all of them? I'm saying reduce them by half. Tell me that just half of the bad situations involving the authorities couldn't be avoided by better decision making. I have an idea. Let's add an hour to the school day to teach about decision-making.
  2. CoffeeAnyone
    CoffeeAnyone - October 02, 2012 8:40 pm
    Apparently you stopped reading at $20,000, or you just enjoy making assumptions. Not that it's any of your business but it's several years worth of support, try 18 years to be exact, At a rate of approx 120/month. In the beginning I did take him to court and he has been incarcerated several times. I no longer pursue the money, I don't want it or need it, I am quite able to provide for my child without it. I have dealt with SCU many times in the past. The point was I never threatened anyone or would I. I'm not so sure you know as much as you claim to about the Support Unit because I'm pretty sure that if someone is in receipt of Medicaid or Temporary Assistance the Support Unit would handle that, do you honestly think they won't pursue support if part of the money is theirs? Haha Yeah they would! Personally I think you are just being argumentative because you have nothing better to do with your time.
  3. Jonny
    Jonny - October 02, 2012 1:19 pm
    Seriously, $20k and you expect SCU to handle that for you? That isn't their problem, that's your issue. SCU doesn't have that many tools or that much authority. SCU is collection, you either have the money garnished, or go back to court. Your story doesn't smell quite right. That amount of arrears is either for lots of kids or over a few years, I hope. If your babies daddy makes that much, he needs a license and to stay out of jail, only you can prevent that! Something isn't right, there.
  4. Manda7485
    Manda7485 - October 02, 2012 12:32 am
    Since my other 3 comments weren't posted all I will saw is this. I wish everyone knew her...like I know her some of your opinions would change.
  5. CoffeeAnyone
    CoffeeAnyone - October 01, 2012 2:25 pm
    to truthplz, Actually I have been pushed to my breaking point in several instances, I have dealt with the child support unit for many years my ex owes over 20,000 dollars to my child and the support unit has done nothing, but while it's frustrating you have to know what is going too far and have some self control. I have been homeless in the past with an infant but even at my worst I have never threatened anyone or anything. Have I cried, yes, countless nights, have I felt helpless and overwhelmed and alone at times, yes but, I found that if I want a better life for myself & my child, I couldn't rely on my ex or child support, I had to rely on myself and that's exactly what I did, so yes I am now living what you call the "good life" but it's because I worked my ass off to for it so I'm sorry if I am not as sympathetic as some of the people on this thread but people need to take responsibility for their own actions and responsibility for their own lives.
  6. truthplz
    truthplz - October 01, 2012 12:23 pm
    I see your point coffee, but find it hard to believe you have never been pushed to your breaking point. You obviously have had a good life and can't understand how frustrating the system is. She shouldn't have said what the PS says she said and maybe she didn't. It wouldn't be the first time in history that words were mis-reported. Nobody said the threat was no big deal...we are just sympathizing with her plight. We are simply taking this chance for those of us unfortunate enough to ever have had to try to collect child support to get some publicity on the screwed up system!
  7. CoffeeAnyone
    CoffeeAnyone - September 29, 2012 11:42 pm
    It may be unfair and sometimes life is unfair but you deal with it rationally. Doesn't give someone the right to threaten to blow up the building, why is everyone making excuses for her? So every time we get upset with a business or agency is this how we should act? If this is acceptable how will anyone know who is serious & who isn't. I have no sympathy for anyone who threatens to kill other people, which is exactly what she did. What kind of world do we live in that this is ok? .You wouldn't think this was no big deal if she went through with it & someone you loved was killed.
  8. Key
    Key - September 29, 2012 11:23 pm
    Guess what she probably votes Democrat. Bright move.
  9. someone in glens falls
    someone in glens falls - September 29, 2012 10:41 pm
    Mean people who don't understand. You may be right. Maybe. But how about walking in her shoes? Don't judge just yet.
  10. someone in glens falls
    someone in glens falls - September 29, 2012 10:38 pm
    post star probably won't post my comment. It's too much for the "locals" to handle. They maybe never had to deal with this before and have no frame of reference. But I have. I have been pregnant and homeless. YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOUR MIND IS CAPABLE OF WHEN YOU NEED HELP FOR YOUR CHILD.
  11. 5756917
    5756917 - September 29, 2012 10:43 am
    A small look at government on the local level. Imagine it on the federal level. And Obama wants more and bigger government. YEA!!!
  12. worldssale
    worldssale - September 28, 2012 6:28 pm
    I agree completely especially with this girl!
  13. golfer
    golfer - September 28, 2012 11:22 am
    Dead beat dad isn't helping....probally needs money to feed her child... jails for her is not the answer.
  14. Jonny
    Jonny - September 28, 2012 10:10 am
    Obviously Coffee with anyone had never dealt with SCU. You can't just walk in and fill out a request. You need an appointment. You can't deal with the county, the state (800 number) handles all requests. The state can't make appointments for you, but you will never be able to talk to the county... Catch 21. If the parent paying support is un or self employed, the county will not "waste" the time trying to collect for you. If you are only owed the minimum $50/month, they will not waste their time. It is about amount collected, not number of citizens served. I am a Dad, and I have custody. I refuse support, and dislike the county/state system. It is mostly useless, and dysfunctional. It is highly unfair.
  15. speakforkids
    speakforkids - September 28, 2012 6:33 am
    Frustrated I hear ya I have been waiting a year and a half for my child support to even get into the court room and it was sent directly from my divorce judge. Frustration is easy but people just dont know how to speak the proper words these days. You tend to get further with honey then viniger...You make waves you get put back in the bottom of the pile. You make nice you may get put closer to the top. Words work it is all how you choose to use them on if they work for you or against you.
  16. local433girl
    local433girl - September 28, 2012 5:59 am
    Acknowledging she may well have had a right to be frustrated with someone -- her child or children's father, the Department of Social Services, etc., there's no excuse for threatening to blow up a government building. Someone would have to be nearly brain-dead not to think that this would end in more trouble for her.
  17. CoffeeAnyone
    CoffeeAnyone - September 27, 2012 11:18 pm
    Threatening to blow up a building filled with people is unacceptable no matter what the circumstances are. You are playing with the minds of innocent people causing them to fear for their lives. which is unfair given the Oklahoma bombing and how many people lost their lives there you would think someone would understand that. Do you really think threatening to blow up Social Services will get you your benefits or support any faster? I highly doubt it. I understand being frustrated with the support unit and the 1-800 number when you are not able to get any useful information, we all get frustrated with different establishments, but it seems to me, showing up at Social Services in person & filling out a request to see your worker or a request for information might be a better idea and you probably wouldn't end up in jail.
  18. Jonny
    Jonny - September 27, 2012 6:32 am
    Hopefully for her sake, she chose her words carefully, and a public defender can get the charges eliminated. It's sad that someone frustrated with DSS/SCU be charged with multiple felonies for dealing with the frustrations SCU can cause. They set their own rules, and do not care or abide by the judge's/court orders. Occasionally, they don't even follow their own rules (SCU). You aren't even allowed to talk to the county anymore, everything must first go through the state. This article is very confusing, and typical for the Post Star. Was she having problems collecting welfare, or child support? The article suggests she was collecting welfare benefits and having a hard time collecting that, but knowing the DSS system, suggests otherwise. Typical cloudy reporting, don't ask the right questions, make a brief ten second phone call, don't listen to what the police/firemen are telling you... Go PS!
  19. truthplz
    truthplz - September 27, 2012 2:04 am
    And even the 1-800 line doesn't help. They refer you to your local worker who then refers you to the 1-800 line. It is messed up!
  20. dls
    dls - September 27, 2012 12:46 am
    just because someone is getting child support doesn't mean they don't work!! i don't agree with what she did but i do know what it's like to be a single mom and struggle to make ends meet while waiting for the CSCU to get their crape together!!
  21. BootStrap
    BootStrap - September 26, 2012 9:00 pm
    If you read carefully She was frustered with the Support Unit. Meaning Child Support. The Support Collection Unit is a joke. You need to call this 1-800 number to get any kind of help with your Child Support.
  22. Cricket
    Cricket - September 26, 2012 2:10 pm
    Our tax dollars being wasted on this woman! Taberski - agreeed. Now, how about offering her some more tax dollar "support" and leave her in jail for awhile?
  23. Crazylibbrel
    Crazylibbrel - September 26, 2012 1:07 pm
    Perhaps employment is the best punishment!
  24. taberski
    taberski - September 26, 2012 12:10 pm
    How that 47% sure impresses me!