Game 4: Phantoms 4, IceCaps 3

2012-10-20T23:53:00Z 2012-10-21T00:22:39Z Game 4: Phantoms 4, IceCaps 3By Diana C. Nearhos Glens Falls Post-Star
October 20, 2012 11:53 pm  • 

The Phantoms responded to a two-goal deficit with a four-goal run for their first road win of the season, a 4-3 victory over the IceCaps.

Twice in the game, the Phantoms scored two goals in less than a minute.

The first time came only 1:16 after Ivan Telegin tallied the second goal for St. John's. Just over a minute into the power play resulting in a cross-checking call on Ben Maxwell, Brandon Manning fired off a slapshot from the right point to put Adirondack on the board.

It was only 27 seconds after that that Shane Harper, playing in his first game after being healthy scratches in the first three, scored his first goal of the season.

Eric Wellwood sent a centering pass through the zone, which deflected off St. John's defenseman Derek Meech and almost got past goaltender Eddie Pasquale. Harper grabbed a failed clear attemped in front of the net and took a shot before Pasquale had a chance to recover. That made it a 2-2 game 9:49 into the second period.

Zac Rinaldo broke the tie to start the Phantoms' second multi-goal minute at 12:06 in the third frame.

The IceCaps had a 4-on-1 opportunity, but Oliver Lauridsen managed to break it up and the Phantoms turned it into their own 2-on-1. Rob Bordson sent the puck up to Rinaldo as he raced down the right side with Harry Zolnierczyk on the left. Rinaldo fired off a wrister that beat Pasquale to give the Phantoms their first lead of the weekend.

Fifty-one seconds later, Brayden Schenn tallied the eventual game-winner. He took a somewhat unexpected shot that froze Pasquale and made it past the goaltender with 7:03 to play.

St. John's knocked the lead down to one with just under four minutes to play. Zlnierczyk was called for hooking, setting up a goal from Zack Redmond

Munroe stood strong in goal for the remaining few minutes to secure the win. Unlike last weekend, when Terry Murray alternated his goaltenders, Munroe started both games in Newfoundland. He made 31 saves on 34 shots for his second win.

The Phantoms are now 2-2 on the season.

Adirondack scratched Marc-Andre Bourdon, Mike Testwuide, Zack FitzGerald, Tyler Brown and Matthew Ford.


Adirondack (2-2)       0 2 2 -- 4

St. John’s (2-2)         1 1 1 -- 3

First Period — 1, St. John’s, Albert 1 (Gregoire), 12:54. Penalties — Lauridsen Adk (tripping), 4:00; King Stj (holding), 4:13; Rinaldo Adk (hooking), 17:44.

Second Period — 2, St. John’s, Telegin 1 8:06. 3, Adirondack, Manning 1 (Syvret, Schenn), 9:22 (pp). 4, Adirondack, Harper 1 9:49. Penalties — Maxwell, Stj (cross-checking), 8:20; Meech, Stj (hooking), 13:23; served by McGinn, Adk (bench minor - too many men), 15:57; Pasquale, Stj (delay of game - restricted area), 19:28.

Third Period — 5, Adirondack, Rinaldo 1 (Bordson), 12:06. 6, Adirondack, Schenn 3 (Holmstrom), 12:57. 7, St. John’s, Redmond 2 (Burmistrov, O’Neill), 16:02 (pp). Penalties — Gustafsson, Adk (interference), 15:47; Zolnierczyk, Adk (hooking), 18:45; O’Neill, Stj (diving), 18:45.

Goalies-saves — Adirondack, Munroe 2-1-0 (34 shots-31 saves). St. John’s, Pasquale 1-2-0 (32 shots-28 saves).


Referee — Terry Koharski

Copyright 2015 Glens Falls Post-Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Adirondack Flames Update